Not Telling It The Way It Is

Maybe this post should be in the squabble area....please move if you would like.

I recently sold this marble:

What I sold

As I mentioned in the listing...the camera saw more than my eyes noticed. However, camera or no the marble is not mint. It's a nice marble but it is not mint. I thought it was but I wasn't sure it was a Christensen (mainly because it wasn't like any of my Christensen I learned/use to ID).

I find it hard to believe this isn't the same marble. I guess surface abrasion = naturally grainy appearance.

What this guy sells

Don't get me wrong it is a nice marble. Truth be told I was reluctant to sell it to start with. Maybe I'm just jealous I can't do listings like that. This is the first time I've seen (recognized) one of my marbles being resold. I have it on my watch list....

You did the right thing by accurately describing the condition of the marble.

The other seller is embellishing his listing. His photos can not deceive.

Most buyers can see it is not a Mint marble. I would rather be honest & up front.

... Just my 2 cents worth.

You did the right thing by accurately describing the condition of the marble.

The other seller is embellishing his listing.

It is certainly not a new thing for a single marble or group to be sold on Ebay only to resurface shortly after re-vamped and sell for more. More often the original sale will just disappear in a privately arranged buy it now so it does not get recognized.

Honestly, the real problem is neither photography nor description. The difference in the two lots is that you didn't list yours as what it was: a CAC.

When collectors search ebay, they generally don't search "fantastic marble." Collectors are usually looking for something specific, and are not willing to sort through the thousands of marbles that are on ebay at any given time. More likely than anything, your lot just got lost amongst all the other lots.

I don't think the new dealer is being "devious." The new description is different, but with the photos included, I don't think there's any real misrepresentation going on here. They simply relisted the item, and more people offered more money for it. Bear in mind that the new seller started at 99¢, so the $30 price was not something that he set, but rather something set by the users of ebay as well.

In the future, consider getting a marble IDed here before selling it. Having a properly identified listing will help you draw in a bigger crowd of bidders, and with that, more moneys!

I realize that I'm not going to make any friends from this post, but I'm just calling them as I sees them. Hopefully you'll learn from your mistakes, and have much better luck with selling marbles in the future. :)

I realize that I'm not going to make any friends from this post, but I'm just calling them as I sees them. Hopefully you'll learn from your mistakes, and have much better luck with selling marbles in the future

Contraire! I very much appreciate your feedback. Your points are well taken and true. I appreciate constructive criticism.

I still stand the 2nd listing is not telling it the way it is. First, notice the difference in the pictures. The camera accurately captured the coloring in the stripes (which isn't as distinct to the naked eye). If his camera captured the color detail then it would have captured the same surface abrasions as mine. Something was manipulated for that to occur (marble polished/photo "enhanced"). There are a lot of other marbles I'd spend $30 on before that one. IMHO, it isn't a $30 marble in the condition it is in. If it isn't in the same condition it has been polished and should say so. Marble Alan had one sell for $50ish recently and has another current listing. In my opinion, if spending my dollars, either one of those are far more valuable then the one I sold.

You are correct I should have stated it was a Christensen since my confidence level was very high that it was. I am overly cautious about misidentifying my listings. While I frequently post pictures for identification/discussions I am hesitant to rely on photo-identification. It seems to easy for a photo to look like something it is not (or vice versa). I have been very fortunate to have friends much more knowledgeable than I help me learn and give me examples for identification.

The bottom line is I better not quit my day job! Plus, I should be cautious about speaking negatively about a "customer". After all, their bids did net me more money, too. At least I got all the whining and pouting out of my system. Maybe Steph can move my post to an appropriate corner.

Thank you!!

Suzie

Suzie, your pics are fantastic in that listing. I'm not sure that my camera could capture the detail of your photos. Some people grade with the naked eye only. You are no longer a part of the last auction and must let it go. If the buyer is not satisfied, he will return it or whatever. I also think the lack of "CAC" was the difference.

You are correct I should have stated it was a Christensen since my confidence level was very high that it was. I am overly cautious about misidentifying my listings. While I frequently post pictures for identification/discussions I am hesitant to rely on photo-identification. It seems to easy for a photo to look like something it is not (or vice versa). I have been very fortunate to have friends much more knowledgeable than I help me learn and give me examples for identification.

A wrong id is not the end of the world....I think it happened once or twice on e-bay. lol Yet, it may cost you a few dollars!! Keep up the nice listings...you'll do fine! mon