5/8 And 7/8 Golden Rebel Question

Hello Everyone,

Go this 7/8" golden rebel in the mail today, I have it next to a 5/8 one for comparison. I bought it knowing it was a little beat up, and when I got it today, it was actually better than expected. There is a nice size blow out, and a few shallow chips, and general defects (around 7.5)

So my questions are:

1. How rare is this size? I dont recall too many this size that I have seen, have seen a few 3/4" inch ones though.

2. Should I get it polished, knowing what it will do to the size, but it will better the condition? Or keep it that size for historical sake?

It is a conundrum wrapped in a riddle within a quandary.

Thanks,

Craig

post-2120-129919146347_thumb.jpg

post-2120-129919147476_thumb.jpg

That’s the never ending question. To polish or not? I am no expert on the subject but it looks to me that your marble needs more than just polish. I think a lot of glass will be removed to get to a smooth surface and that will not only reduce the size but also remove some of the color and pattern. It is a rare size but for me I would be more concerned about the color you may grind away.

The right photo in your first post shows what happens if you remove too much glass, the black will be gone. I had one sent to Leroy for polishing and he stated that I would lose more than gained, so we just buffed it to shine. I then sent it to a very good friend of mine. I would leave both of yours alone.

ahhhhh,, them darn kids, what were they thinking using a shooter to play marbles,, wow,, if you collect to resell then it is what it is, if you collect to keep this mib would rate right up there toward the top shell as a mib with character, this kid used it well didnt he/or she,,, Pelts really really loose the look the more you polish it, its definetly buyer choice but i'de leave it alone, a shooter is much harder to come by than the smaller one, but you knew that, which is why im wondering if your question was a trick question or what, lol, you funny guy,, good find,,,bj

i think the reason for the 7/8 is it may have came in a different set, they did that sometimes, its just a theory but ide say its like the modern day cost vs content, usually the bigger the shooter the older the mib, when they found out they could redeuce(sp) the size of the shooter it was just that much more money they could save.

also, one thing about polishing a Pelt like most other mibs, when its done you know its a Pelt but you loose the design so you know its been polished.

That’s the never ending question. To polish or not? I am no expert on the subject but it looks to me that your marble needs more than just polish. I think a lot of glass will be removed to get to a smooth surface and that will not only reduce the size but also remove some MOST of the color and pattern. It is a rare size but for me I would be more concerned about the color you may grind away.

^FIXED

and you're right, a large percent of the color ribbons on NLRs rides on/near the surface, and it will grind away and be lost pretty rapidly