Ebay Fees

Here they go again!

eBay sellers will be charged 9 percent of an item's selling price plus the amount the seller charges the buyer for shipping under a major new selling change announced this week. The fee, to be capped at $100, is meant to encourage more sellers to offer free shipping.ebay_logo.jpg

On the flip side, listing fees will be dropped and sellers will now be able to list up to 50 items each month at any starting price. Sellers also may elect the option to add the popular "Buy it Now" selling option for free.

Abolishing listing fees is not a new move for eBay. The fees were levied far less starting last year across several promotional efforts. The move was designed to attract sellers and compete with the growing number of ecommerce websites as well as curb the monstrous growth of Amazon.com. Amazon announced early last year that antiques and collectibles sellers we welcome to the site, however the category has failed to take off.

Ebay / now Paypal should be sued for monopoly purposes. They now own Paypal and force sellers to used Paypal for every transaction. So the owners now not only get paid once from Ebay fees - but paid again for Paypal transaction fees (which are the same) DOUBLE DIPPING!!!!

They are too big for their own good and have gone over the line on transaction fees - pissing off many sellers including myself.

The only problem is that they still get you the biggest viewing audience around. Can't sell the same items in a local paper or on Amazon - the lure of getting a deal on an auction just keeps buyers sniffing around....been like that for centuries now.

True, but they are trying very hard to take the auction out of it. They have been trying for years to compete with amazon and want eBay to be a fixed price site. That's why they continue to punish the sellers for having shipping fees.

Now it's 9% PLUS anything you charge for shipping. So if you sell an item for $100 and charge $5 to ship you would have to pay $14, PLUS the shipping charges yourself, PLUS 3% PayPal. Ridiculous.

still cheaper than the local auction house..but more hassel...at the local auction you dont hafta go thru the trouble of gettin it ready and takin it to the post office....in some cases the auctioneer will come and pick up items to be auctioned...i never did see how sellin things on ebay for .99 was worth it....but lotsa people do...that guy world round starts lotsa auctions at that price...some people just gets hooked i guess...i usually just sell during my winter break...

After rereading the new fees and looking at their listing examples it looks to me like they are charging the final value fee on the shipping not charging the seller the full shipping price. Also if you list less then fifty items a month there is no advantage to have a store anymore.

Charles

There were many cases, especially with competetive / low dollar items like books, where the seller listed for 99 cents but charged more than $10 s&h. They inflated the shipping fees so they kept a higher percent of the final invoice. Ebay simply closed that loophole.