Marble Packin 101

duffy

when you prepare to pack and ship large amounts of marbles the first thing you do is put the marbles in a medium size trash bag and spin the bag until the marbles are tight in the bag...tape the bag shut and cut off the bag not taped ....put the bag of marbles on the floor and flatten em out so they are shaped like a flat football...tape it over and over rotating the bag to keep the flatt football shape...tape it in the other direction....place in another trash bag and repeat....put the marbles in a new flat rate box and make sure the voids of the box is filled with some kind of packing so the bag does not shift in shipment....if you ship em loose in the box the box will break and you will lose most of your marbles....and will come to you lookin like this.......

boxomarbles.jpg

I do not have experience with shipping marbles but have been on the receiving end of numerous shipments of large 200+ marble lots. The method of packing that I have found to best preserve the condition of large marble shipments, was from sellers that spread/distributed the marbles on a large sheet of bubble wrap, and then rolled the bubble wrap and marbles into a cylinder, folded the cylinder in half, taped it securely and packaged it in an appropriately sized Priority Mail box. I was really impressed with marbles received this way and have since described this method as how I want to receive my large marble lot shipments in my PayPal note to the seller.

i suppose common sense would not fall into anything....i haint gettin into a pissin contest with a skunk....but i guess it is easier to ship cullet and glass pieces than to just pour marbles in a box with no packing material and no forethought....but somewhere between here and there someones sweepin up lots of marbles....

true that ...... but spiteful things and bad karma is b.s. and retribution will be always at the tip of my finger..... loaded and ready....fwiw...placing a lol in a post when a middle finger salute more fits the situation, is a devious act and will be considered an act of aggresion...fair warning.......dont go out in the chicken coop and expect to not step in the chickens business...its a given its there.....if you dont want it stay out....

huh?

Someone sends you a huge box of stuff (with delivery confirmation to prove they sent it) and you focus on the way it was packed (thanks for the information by the way) and not the shabby job the post office did seems to me to be a bit crying over spilled milk - just saying is all.

Your original post was very helpful but now it seems you have a hidden agenda (ie. pissing contest, skunk, spiteful, bad karma, b.s., etc.)... just saying...

the huge box of marbles turned out to be 28 marbles.....i wouldnt blame the post office at all....whoever packed em would be the blame....the postmaster said they delivered em and thats that.....they cant control how an item is presented to them...maybe the post office on the other end couldve refused it in the way it came to them, but that would be assuming they were doin their job and not just collectin a paycheck...i dont care ,really...its all water under the bridge.....its a lesson learned for me....never take a man to his word and deal with people that says theyll do something-theyll actually do it.... i just used it for a tool in educating folks on how not to do something....i know that some people relish in the learnin part of marblin...even if they cant hit their ass with both hands...

Good for you Steve.

I can't believe the strong emotional feelings I see here. You have been a man who has been a friend and an eBay seller that went beyond being nice by sending small gifts with the item won to the buyer AND one who assisted me in my quest to get the pictorial history documented (I used the pictures you gave me and gave you credit in the introduction).

Anyway, have a great day!

its not about marbles rich...its goes beyond that.........i think you should do what you say in a timely matter...not let months and months pass by... its unspeakable for years to pass....yes you did give me credit after you didnt and i had to remind you...i thought i was being blown off again.....i did get a nice box of marbles from you today....some schweet marbles in there...thanks for that....i think you do some nice work....i just dont like being constantly pushed back and back and given excuses like its too hot or when i get back from vacation.... until i feel cornered....its not fair...a couple months is ok but beyond that is tellin me the job will never be done...if i operated like that in my business i would never get another job.....i try to be fair and ask any of my ebay customers or other online customers if they dont get more...but they do get what we agreed on ...at least....i use verbal agreements-- nothing on paper ----just a handshake...sorry i got snippy with ya but now ive at least got some nice marbles..i think everybody oughta own one....but i wont be makin any more deals...its too much to worry if im gettin the shaft or not.,......thanks .....i do appreciate the marbles...but this thread was how not to packmarbles...

You deserve the marbles I made you as you are my friend and I appreciate your helpfulness. I had written your name as someone that assisted me way before you mentioned it. I put it there three days after I started writing the article according to the web statistics I have. but I don't care when it was there, it is important to me that you get credit!

I can't torch when I am not home and I refuse to torch in the excess heat - the torch's temperature is 1400F and when it's 100F+ outside, it isn't safe. Those aren't excuses, those are facts.

I tried to make these marbles you got as best as I could make them for you. Some I added aventurine to the cullet and others I "arted"them up so you'd have something special because you deserve it!

I learned a lot about the packing of a massive quantity of marbles thanks to you Steven. If ever I need to pack that many, I'll be sure to follow your directions and I am sure others will too.

Marble on!

Rich