An Unusual (?) Akro Agate Blue Sleeve Box

Thnx to Jason @ MarblesGalore.com for providing your website and forum. I had sent the following message to MarblesGalore.com for some ID help. (Texts in red are added here for clarification.)

I found this box in my departed wife's collectibles - it's a muted blue in color. Shape is like pictures in your gallery (MarblesGalore.com), but inside were 6 not 5 marbles. It is printed similar, but the logo HAS NO LETTER A, & THE WHITE CIRCLE IS NOT OUTLINED IN RED. Also it is marked "NO. A 16" - note the "A" prefix.

One small end of box is marked "mfd by the AKRO AGATE CO Clarksburg W Va". (The other small end says "made in USA"). Inside the box are 4 corkscrews (1 a popeye ? and 1 may be oxblood ?), plus 2

other unknowns (Jason suggests At least one of your marbles is not Akro Agate (the multi-color swirly one); it was made by the Peltier Glass Company.)

No doubt the box detail is a clue to the vintage - which is my question.

/ / / / / / /

The box to be identified is shown in two images (attached) - marblesA1.jpg and marblesA6.jpg. Another attached photo from MarblesGalore - akro-agate-no-16-marble-box-five-slags-1a.jpg...is typical to a number of sleeves pictured at that website.

Notice the differences in my sleeve:

it contained SIX marbles

there is no letter "A" in the Eagle in the logo

the white circle is NOT outlined in red

the typeface for words "akro agates" inside the circle is different

the typeface for words "akro agates" on the SIDES of my box is also different, and is not outlined i in white.

My box identification (?) reads "no. A16", not "No. 16"

Also attached are a few (quick-and-dirty) images of the marbles that this sleeve contains. As a

brand-new novice to MARBLES, my opinion as to what I've got is probably useless.

But after a few hours of browsing various marlbes listings and for-sale offerings - I can't help but confess that I'M EXCITED about them! They're really beautiful (at age 74, I feel I can get away with such a "non-guy" observation. Forty great years with a very aesthetic-conscious spouse has engendered a love for beauty where-ever it may be found.)

Thanks in advance for any feedback to this initial posting.

post-3397-0-32942600-1342810719_thumb.jp

post-3397-0-89133800-1342810742_thumb.jp

post-3397-0-92252900-1342810759_thumb.jp

post-3397-0-68907000-1342810809_thumb.jp

post-3397-0-73280300-1342810823_thumb.jp

Thanks, Plan B.

Anybody have an idea of "WHEN" ? Maybe someone knows the time-line for 5-marble put-ups and 6-marble put-ups ?

(The idea of a "knock-off" also occurred to me...although it doesn't seem very likely with a relatively inexpensive item such as this.)

Looking at George Sourlis' 1911-1930 Akro poster I see that they had a 5-sleeve in 1922. Looks like 5-sleeves at least until 1926.

Elsewhere I see an ad for a 6-sleeve box which might be from around 1934 since it mentions the "new" Akro Carnelian.

I should be able to find at least one earlier 1930's ad which I suspect will have a 6-sleeve in it. But I'm gonna go ahead and hit enter on this now.

Edit: yes, the ad which I think is from around 1931 has the 6-sleeve.

So looks like the switch from 5 to 6 happened in the late 20's or very early 30's.

Thanks, Plan B.

Anybody have an idea of "WHEN" ? Maybe someone knows the time-line for 5-marble put-ups and 6-marble put-ups ?

(The idea of a "knock-off" also occurred to me...although it doesn't seem very likely with a relatively inexpensive item such as this.)

I don't know about inexpensive........the more common No. 16 box tends to sell around $80 to $120, depending on condition. The two A-16 boxes I saw, one red and one blue, went for $643 together.

I've gotta say "many thanks" to all who've been responding with clues and comments, etc.

The "Jason" that was referred to was the webmaster over at www.marblesgalore.com - he steered me to this forum because he (correctly) expected there'd be folks in the know about my somewhat unusual box and its (garden-variety) contents.

When some better photos have been taken of the individual marbles, I'll have to return with queries as to maker and type, etc.