Green Glass Onionskin ?

Hi

I got this marble in today's mail. I bought it from a guy who lives near Lauscha and picked it up on a local flea-market. The marble has just one (polished) pontil, although there is an open space at the top which allows a view into the inner marble. There is also one part of the marble with heavy mica flakes, but there is no other mica on the marble beside this spot. And the most strange thing about this marble is that it was made out of green glass. Is this common for an onionskin ? The marble measures 1.42 inches in diameter (35.6mm) and it is absolutely mint, the only "flaw" I could notice is a small as made pit near the pontil.

Does any of you has informations about similar marbles ? Looking at the mica-spot, the unusual color-pattern and the single pontil it really looks like this could be a real "end-of-day" marble for which the maker used up all his remaining colors and mica-flakes. But why did he use green glass (which was probably more expensive then) ?

Really a strange marble. Does anyone has informations about similar marbles ? Was it more or less common to use colored glass for onionskins ?

Would be really nice to get some more information about this marble.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Ron

post-2885-0-46334500-1382703001_thumb.jp

post-2885-0-02027400-1382703011_thumb.jp

post-2885-0-51360800-1382703023_thumb.jp

post-2885-0-58580600-1382703041_thumb.jp

post-2885-0-62807400-1382703051_thumb.jp

post-2885-0-15983500-1382703251_thumb.jp

Hi William

Good point. I don't think it's a jelly core, perhaps it is cased ? Or how would green glass look with the onionskin-pattern put on it ? I have no clue, but looking at the open spaces there is always green glass, not only at the poles but also on some other parts of the marble.

My blacklight is stored in the cellar, I usually don't use it (which could be a mistake sometimes). I will look for it one of these days.

Thanks for your help !

Ron

Hi Jeroen

Thanks for your answer. I cannot tell for sure. The glass looks "old" to me, but this doesn't mean much. Also the marble is not completely round, there is a small, really a small difference when you measure it from pole to pole and its width. What makes you think it is modern ? Have you seen similar ones ?

PLMK

Ron

Hi Jeroen

Thanks for your answer. I cannot tell for sure. The glass looks "old" to me, but this doesn't mean much. Also the marble is not completely round, there is a small, really a small difference when you measure it from pole to pole and its width. What makes you think it is modern ? Have you seen similar ones ?

PLMK

Ron

Hi Ron, I've seen similar marbles being sold by a German dealer at a collectors fair here in Holland, same coloring, mica that is less shiny than in antique marbles and a dull surface. Also the pontils did not look like those on antique marbles. The same seller also had fake colored sulphides for sale.

Ron,

I have seen quite a few modern "old German" marbles on Ebay that are being sold out of Portugal, even an onionskin with a green core plus mica, I think I just saw one in the past few days. I think the colors in your marble are off so my guess would also be modern.

All my best .... Danny

Hmmmmm, I'm getting ready to bid on one of those. There's some on the bay as we speak.

here's the old posting where we was chatting about them....

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/18229-all-of-these-germans-look-strange-to-me/?hl=portugal#entry155701

So these are not good, or are they????

Sorry for hijacking your post Ron.....

btw I still like that marble, if your not in love with it, PM me

What about this one, and some others by this same seller? Is it vintage German? It doesn't look quite right to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Large-1-75-1-3-4-Onionskin-Many-Color-Swirl-Played-with-Marble-/360767160725?pt=Marbles&hash=item53ff660195

This one looks ok to me, should be a genuine old one.

Ron

Hmmmmm, I'm getting ready to bid on one of those. There's some on the bay as we speak.

here's the old posting where we was chatting about them....

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/18229-all-of-these-germans-look-strange-to-me/?hl=portugal#entry155701

So these are not good, or are they????

Sorry for hijacking your post Ron.....

btw I still like that marble, if your not in love with it, PM me

Hi Wiliam

No problem about hijacking my post, not at all. I am not familiar with these marbles from Portugal either, so I keep my hands off.

And yes, I still love the other marble and I am not totally convinced yet it really is "modern". It is a beauty and it is quite special with this green glass and the mica. I will just keep it for another 100 years and then it is definately antique too :P

Ron

Ron,

I have seen quite a few modern "old German" marbles on Ebay that are being sold out of Portugal, even an onionskin with a green core plus mica, I think I just saw one in the past few days. I think the colors in your marble are off so my guess would also be modern.

All my best .... Danny

Hi Danny

Thanks for your input. These marbles from Portugal are a different topic, there is not much knowledge about these unfortunately.

Ron