All Of These (Germans?) Look Strange To Me

m!b$

Guest browse4antiques

I have wondered about those. There was another batch of them on eBay a while ago. They certainly appear to have been constructed in the traditional handmade way (unlike the Bulgarian torch-made "handmades"). I notice they are all left-handed. One thing that argues for their being genuine is that the colors of the glass are similar to the colors that were used in the very late stages of German handmades - the blue, green, and that dark purple-brown color that will look pink sometimes. ... Roger

This gentleman from Portugal has been selling this type on Ebay for about 3 or 4 years now, which is about 2 years longer than the Bulgarian guys. I've never bought any. I've always felt they are old (maybe 1930s) but from a different house than the ones we are used to seeing. I've never felt the Bulgarian ones were old.

These marbles were made in the 1920's in Portugal by one glass family factory from Lissbon, they are very hard to find, even here in Europe (I'm from the Netherlands) and they are a lot rarer than German handmades. Some of them are very beautiful. They were never exported outside Europe, so that's why you do not find them in the US.

Most of them are left twist, and the pontils are made in a different way than the German ones.

Do you have any of the information you used for your post JVV. Many collectors are very interested in marble history. Word of mouth is just way too unreliable.

A major collector from Europe researched it for many years (and he has a lot of these marbles) and he gave me this info. He was able to find a Portugese collector who knew a lot about these marbles and when and where they were made. I have no documents, but I'll ask him if he has any.