Oxblood

savage-28

I purchased a marble recently, that has oxblood, but also has some dark red that isn't oxblood. I doubt the ox was intentional, perhaps a little was left from the previous batch. Can dark red accidentally turn into ox, if the right conditions exist?

Here's the mib I'm referring to. Hope this link still works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201038800564

My thoughts on this is, since it is a dug marble, it could have about anything swirled in there. lol. but as you thought, probably left over glass from a run. But that center picture looks like it has been polished. let us know when you get it in hand. about the only way you can really tell. :D

The pic you referred to, the middle one, is the reason I asked the question. At the top of the middle patch, it looks like it starts out as oxblood then gradually turn to dark red then get lighter in color. It almost seems like it was hotter in that one spot, burning the color into oxblood. Just my ignorant way of justifying it in my head, lol.

I believe it is dug because of the patterning. it's an error marble. it's not a cork, it's not a patch, is somewhere in the o-zone of in between. this type is commonly seen in the dug examples. Some of the ones that are so random are also soo cool!

and yes you can have red and oxblood in the same marble.

Looks like a nice egg yolk oxblood swirl.

Oxblood is opaque with color variations from light to dark, sometimes the dark streaks look black.

As far as transparent red turning to oxblood I would say no, a bad batch of red can become opaque but will not mimic oxblood, Akro Flinties are close to what a bad batch of red looks like, kind of a milky opaque rusty color but not solid opaque with streaks of color variation.

JMHO :character-smileys-238:

Oldmarblenut,

Thanks for your insight!

zaboo,

I've seen red and oxblood on the same marble before, just don't recall seeing one having oxblood that gradually turned into red. Anyway, the oddballs & freaky marbles are my favorite! I see your point about it being dug, if so, it's in great shape for having been throw in the dirt, lol!

Hope the info was helpful, my old PC had a great photo library with chunks of cullet from every factory, shame it was destroyed and the library lost forever, I had some great pieces of oxblood cullet that showed the variations in detail.

My thoughts on Akro swirls.... when the spinner cup was not rotating, did they toss all the marbles made?