Mf Christensen Red Slags

mon

Mike, can you break that down a little more? Not sure I understand?

The 2nd group photo is really cool in that, it shows how far up the punty glass has collected! The chap on the left knocked it of the end........how or why would it ever get there if gathered one at a time with the largest caster being 3" dia.?

Galen....I just got off with David and he said he'll be sick that day.....LOL...just kidding....not true......meant to put a smile on faces......no ill will......Sorry in advance...and so on.....

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mon, if you look at the first pic the gatherers hand is almost on that white area of the punty. Not so sure that is glass on the punty. And Mike, where does your info for the cup catcher thingy come from and are you saying that is what is in the guys hand??? You been holding out on some secret squirrel stuff? And your slowing down the process having the guy catch the glob shear the glob and the try and plop it into that small area at the top of the 2 pulleys that the marble goes into to get rounded.

I like the thought of the glob coming off right over the spot and the guy shearing it as it flows off. Wouldn't even need a funnel thingy. Maybe the guy in the pic is a newbie or helping a new gatherer that doesn't quite know what he is doing.

If you really blow up the group shot you will see the guy in the middle in missing a section sure looks like glass. Could be from the wall of the pot/furnace and nothing more.....I thought it was from heat but looks like glass. Not sure how far up you could have it and transfer to the end without cooling past the point it would not form?

The cutter guy has scissors in his right hand, cutting the gob, and the cup with the handle is directly below on a shelf. His left hand is about to release a now-cooled marble from a set of rollers that he will toss the newly cut gob into. They have to cut the gob into the cup first, because if cut right into the rollers, it would just slip on through.

There are two rollers for each machine. Small marbles, size 0 and size one, cool rather fast, and with a battery of six machines, they toss a marble in each machine down the row, and when they get back to the first machine, that marble will be cool enough to release, and fill with another hot gob from the cup. For larger marbles up to size 8 or size 12, they would need a battery of 10 or even 12 machines, to allow the larger marbles more time to cool enough to release.

This information and the two photos come from depositions of former MFC workers at the appellate trial between Akro Agate and Peltier.

I thought that a spring release on one of the rollers dropped the marble when it was hard enough?

I love the belt drive at the bottom for all the machines.......we don't need no stinking guards...OSHA would of had fun.....

Mon I understand that as the marble got hard it eventually forces the pulleys apart and the marble drops through, no need for anyone to do anything to let it drop through. Come on Mike what gives. You got movies? Secret squirrel information. You got me really wondering whats going on. Like how do you know the rollers are all different and stayed that way int toy marble production. Either you got some secret squirrel info and your a real poo head for not sharing. Or your just giving your post so much conviction you get a bunch of fish on the hook. Well you got a good nibble from me now give up what up. One thing for sure is I don't think anyone was flinging hot glass globs and getting them to land in the small area between the two pulleys. Also with your description the same amount of the same type of marble was made in equal amounts in every size, and sorry but that just was not the case, Nice try though

I did not say the rollers were all different. Two men worked together as a team, and each team worked on a row, or battery, of machines making a certain sized marbles. Most of the teams made size 0 and size 1 marbles. Some teams made larger marbles on machines with larger and deeper grooves, and with different size sprockets on the rollers, to run at a different speed. I know nothing of secret squirrel information, and I don't care if you believe me about them tossing the gobs into the rollers from the cup that they were cut into. The rollers did not automatically separate when the marble got hard, the cutter guy did that manually by pulling a lever. I didn't mention this stuff before because nobody asked me.

I wonder if that cup apparatus the scissor man is cutting into was capable of traveling along the machine via a screw or similar to utilize the whole machine as it appears the guys working to the left in the photo are only using one set of rollers shute and bucket

In regards to the slag type transparent color and white opake I also wonder if when mixing the 2 colours the blower had 2 molten pots on for coloured transparent one for white and rolled out a length of cane on the marver table like a red and white christmas candy cane on the end of his punt rod similar to the way the german lats were made would be easy to imagine them cutting more than one glob and therefore i imagine speeding up the whole process

wonderful pictures Migbar

Sorry Mike, Just trying to get you to give up any source for your revelations, I certainly agree with you on the multiple machines but I do believe the patent states as the ball gets hard the resistance increases forcing the rollers apart allowing the ball to drop through(this is a mystical event for me and I have always wondered how that worked) I was hoping you had some more great reading information for us about the tools used etc. I am terribly sorry I came off as the poo head . Johns machine may have a lever but it is not an exact replica of what was used at MFC IMO.

Found the part in the patent

post-87-0-84934300-1420387240_thumb.jpg

What Galen points out was an improvement patent in 1905 and added another three years to the life of his patent...this was a big deal...along with the smaller roller and faster speed of the larger roller (this made the marble go crazy, and offset the equal force when spinning between two rollers of the same speed, forcing the smaller and slower roller to open). For what it's worth... Cohill describes the process as cut directly into the rollers.....

Godown....The base color and white is mentioned in the batch formulas with a ratio of 50/50 melted in one pot, no cane. But I do like the red and white color color you picked because I believe they tried to make some.

Some where I picked up 70white/30trans for MFC and 30white /70Trans for Akro. This being why it is so hard to see through most MFCs, oh well, Off to the archives(LOL)

Mon, I think that was in the original patent applied for in 1902 Granted several years later, And at that time the item that the patent was applied for was often in use before applying or having the patent granted

And Godown just a swirling motion on the punty for the Gatherer, one pot with I believe the 2 types of glass being layed in a way to give certain patterns. This was really done in a special way at the sites where the horizontals where made. Canes do not produce 9s and tails.

Here is part of a contract at Peltier for Arnold Fiedler. kinda neat.

cropped.jpg

That's OK, Galen....I just come here for the ridicule and disrespect, anyways....

I, too, wish the people who weren't as stupid as I, would chime in, like Brian and John and Cohill, to explain all this to us, and describe all the patent stuff, and other things, that I am obviously just too dense to understand...

Maybe I'll come back after my coffee....

If any of this ridicule and disrespect needs defending by me (if not disregard) Mig....I was told to read and read as if true.....but it just don't jive! I know nothing about glass other than the mud looking ones I've made at home for a very short time. I'm not an expert here but have some perplexing thoughts dealing with the no red rule..repeat. You are a glass expert to me but I don't swallow everything that even experts offer at first bite. I, too, wish the same imput

Galen, the 50/50 an Akro's white ratio of 60 to 70% is in said book. Also stated was the almost immediate approval of said patent.

Neat.....totally different from Cohill. The different size and speed gives it time .....per Cohill, the speeds are backwards for the rollers. If chain driven from one sprocket to the other, both at the shaft of the rollers, how much interference was there between roller size and marble? Was it just slack in this chain that let it open enough to fall out? Gathered into a cup and then cut it??? ooooh...more testimony..thanks mike

I don't see that it was that tough getting the information out of me. I was attempting to explain things as fast and as accurately as I could, and I'm sorry if it was so difficult for you to understand.

Sorry Mike I was attempting to use my moronic semi sense of humor and it doesn't always come off that way.( Moronic yes, humor no) I really do appreciate you posting this, Now why was that guy making up all that stuff in his deposition(LOL)

Looks like Mon #110even made an attempt to get this thread back on topic, glad it didn't work(LOL)

Now how in the heck the 2 man team made 10-12,000 marbles in 8 hours as stated going through that process is going to take me quite some time to get a grip on

And he states furnace not pots. Was there a furnace for each team? Can't see the guys all using and walking to and from a single furnace??????? Now brain smoldering>>>>>. Or maybe the Pots I read about were another name for a small individual furnace....... Ouch its starting to hurt

Time to go look at a pretty marble and clear brain_____________

I'm ready for the 40 page post....come on....

I image one thing by looking at a photo and it's great to get a real picture of the movement and care, or lack of, in the words of the real deal.....thanks again Mike!

Really like the page you e-mailed when he stated that he never was allowed to work with the ruby gold batches.........

This is real eye opening stuff. Mike thanks for sharing! I read those four pages and now it's engrained. I fully understand the process that was wrecking my brain. Those 40 pages would be awesome in a Zip file or something. Please share more. Awesome awesome awesome. Thanks!