Older Vs Newer

sarab

Hello,

Does anyone have a good picture of two of similar marbles where one lot or 1 marble is new and the other is older?

While at an antique store yesterday, I saw some jars of marbles. To my newbie eye, they just looked too perfect, even though I have seen similar patterns and colors in my collection.

I guess I could have taken the step to inspect for seams and points, but can you really tell just by looking in a jar without opening the jar?

My other assumption is that if they are in a reputable antique store, then the vendor has already picked thru them.

Thank you.

Jabos (made after 1990) are often sold as vintage.

Jabo Land has many examples listed. Focusing mostly on the ones which people named. But you can get a feel for them.

Start here:

http://anythinggoes43567.yuku.com/topic/1578/unofficial-jabos-w-names-line-reference-guide#.VL6mK9LF_h4

If they're sort of swirly but squishy and no clear idea of which is the base and which is the ribbon, then they could be Jabo.

Starting around 2008, Jabo did contract runs with special glass. Some of those had some nice ribbons, and I think those nicer ones have also made their ways into antique stores, but start with that thread to get an idea.

I didn't exactly answer your question, did I?

Does anyone have a good picture of two of similar marbles where one lot or 1 marble is new and the other is older?

It could be fun to try this. Sadly there is a lot of tension between people who like Jabos and people who don't like them. Would be nice if we could do this without anyone getting feelings hurt.

Jabo made marbles with oxblood so they could be confused with Akro oxblood. And they made marbles which look like corkscrews.

Vacor made marbles which look like Peltier, and marbles which look like Masters and even Christensen or Alley.

Factories in China made marbles which look like Masters.

The old marbles aren't posted in this thread, but some of the new ones which look old are: http://marbleconnection.com/topic/11724-new-marbles-which-sort-of-look-old/

I don't know if I am allowed, but I will try next time.

The game I posted in 'Just for fun' today I copied and pasted from Google, but that's the one I saw at the store. I'll note price, owner, and get a picture next time I'm there in case anyone here would like to own it.

Going to look at your hyperlinks above.

Thanks Steph.

In looking at the Jabo link, I see colors in their marbles that I don't see in mine. Also, the Jabo white is, very white. Especially, the greens and reds are different from mine.

My collection can only be confirmed that it predates 1976, the year I acquired them.

So, in keeping with the color differences, that may help me next time I'm shopping. That really helped. Time and experience will help too.