The Akro Sort Begins ....

Steph

Woot woot! Found my Carnelian.

Found some missing Realers which I had stuck in with moss agates for purposes of comparison.

Found some popeyes -- which was odd because once upon a time I sold my popeyes and didn't know I had any left.

This indoor marble dig has been great. ;)

I think I missed the beginning of this endeavor, but glad you're having a good time!

Like the opening marbles, and the photo looks fine as far as normal reflection.

Are you saying that the 'snowy' look is reflection, and not there in real 'non-flash' life?

I already boxed it. Probably has bubbles inside. But in addition to the speckles my camera flash gives it -- I think it's the flash anyway -- in addition to those the base of the smaller one looks kinda smashed. I guess that's reflection from the marble stand.

I had an immediate gut-instinct thought which isn't based on anything factual I can think of, but sometimes these are the best thoughts.

Would be interested in hearing if your marble photos benefit in your opinion from turning off your flash's 'red-eye' setting.

The red-eye setting makes the flash go off one or more times before it flashes again for the actual photo. Happens very quickly.

This is so when you're shooting people at parties their pupils will shrink just before the shot's taken, which prevents that 'pink' result we've all seen.

(Cleopatra, with her large atropine-induced pupils might have been beyond help with this.)

But it has no benefit whatsoever for marbles, and I'm wondering if it might possibly hurt.

Deep in the bowels of your camera menus, under 'flash settings' or something similar, you're probably set on 'auto/redeye'.

This might also be shown as a squiggly arrow and an 'eye' symbol.

If you're in the mood, try changing this to auto without the redeye, or the squiggly arrow without the eye symbol. ( :

That could be it. Gonna have to do some more experimenting now with mibs where the halo of speckles was easier to see. Definite improvements here though. The reflection which looks like a small moon is from the table lamp.

First here are a couple of shots with both the red eye and the Safety FE turned off. Then the third pic is with the Safety FE turned back on. Would the Safety FE do any speckling?

Nicepic012_cropped_65pct_zpsbc33f99e.jpg

Nicepic013_cropped_50pct_zpsa1745a7e.jpg

Nicepic020_cropped_65pct_zpseda74e50.jpg

The last shot looks really good.

My vote at this point is red-eye off, safety FE on.

I had to do a little quick research on 'safety FE'.

(That particular terminology is specific to your type of camera.)

It sounds like having it 'on' gives you more of a balance between the natural light and the flash output.

This would more generically be referred to as 'fill' flash. Just enough flash to add detail where required.

If it's 'off', you basically only have the light of the flash exposing your photo.

That can be a little artificial-looking, like taking a flash photo in a completely dark room.