Ridiculous Shipping Prices On Ebay

sclsu

I think I figured out why people do this. At first I thought it was to avoid fees, but as I have now learned as a seller, you get charged a fee on shipping too. I am pretty sure people do it to screw people on returns. Only the item price is refunded (I believe) if you return something unless otherwise specified, so if you get ripped off on an auction that was 0.99 + 99 shipping, you would only get back 0.99. I may be wrong, but that is the only logical reason I could think of why people would do this. Thoughts?

What's an example of ridiculous?

When I sell, I try to be realistic about the shipping price, including cost of packaging. I wince though every time because it ends up looking high. Higher than I'd want to pay if I were shopping.

Edit: Oh, I see ... $99 shipping? ??? Why would anyone agree to pay that ... assuming it's not a very large item .....

Yeah I meant $99. I hate looking for symbols on my phone keyboard. I see it a lot on bulk lots and other items. It's not always that much, but I have seen it on marbles as well. Every time I see something like that, I avoid that seller, no matter how much I want the item. It just screams unscrupulous to me.

Whenever I get a full refund on eBay, it includes what the seller charged for shipping.

But the buyer's cost of return shipping is not usually refunded.

great, now I'm back to square one. Why do people do that then?