ebay bidding question

I've been putting some lots up on ebay in the past year or so and in the past month or so seem to have acquired a buyer who consistently bids on each lot.  These aren't fabulous marbles, but good for a starting collector and in nice clean condition.  He obviously knows how to bid and keep out other bidders by getting in the first bid, then if there is more than one bid, it just stays on the starting minimum.  Does this mean that subsequent bidders decide not to go up over whatever he has set for his maximum, so it just stays there at the bottom?  I'm confused about this.  OTOH, I'm glad to sell them but on the other, would like to get more than the minimum.  I've been setting a very low start.  Any advice?

I haven't sold on Ebay for a lot of years, but if it's staying at the minimum bid it means that nobody is bidding against him. For example: minimum bid of $0.99. Your bidder sets his maximum bid a $2.00. I *think* the bids increase at $0.50 increments at that low of a start. Next bid needs to be $1.49. If someone bids that, your original bidder is automatically increased to $1.99. If your lots are staying at minimum bids, you are not attracting the attention you need.

Ah, yeah, then it's like Dave said.

His first bid could have been your minimum, say 99 cents.

Then he says, "I better go ahead and put in a higher bid."  So say he bids $5.  

All you would see is still the 99 cents.  

Then if someone else comes along and bids, say, $2, his second bid will show up as $2.25.  

If someone comes along and bids $4.99, then his max of $5 will show up.