Loner spotted...not sure ID

14 hours ago, Nantucketdink said:

It's a type 4.  Just match it with the photos in the article.  It has green aventurine, the brown, and a red line.

Thank you!  That blue/grey, with what appears to be lutz, confused me.  What causes the brown and blue?  It seems the others have distinctive Cream/white, 2 shades of red, and green colors.  Pretty marble!

Edited by lostafewofem
punctuation... :)

My very limited understanding says that different colors of copper-based sparkly stuff went in (lutz or goldstone or aventurine or whatever it could be called) and that led to different colors coming out of the furnace -- including different shades of what we call oxblood. 

In the olden days they had a lot of different names for the different shades.  Representing different kinds of animal bloods (which they knew about up close and personally) or sometimes less gruesome names, such as peach bloom, crushed strawberry, crimson and liver.

Sooooo ... that covers some of the different opaque shades which came out.  In your photo, your blue-gray is not looking opaque to me but maybe it could still be connected with the lutz they used 

.... and with that my conjecture and stalling ends and I wait for correction, clarification, additional info from someone who knows!

I just happened to be browsing the cranberry topic when I saw this, so I thought I'd add a quick comment. At that time in 2008, the holy grail of marble making was lutz - everybody wanted to run pure gold aventurine, but it was very difficult to do, easily burnt. Some of the oxblood in the run- both red and burnt - no doubt came from the copper flakes (lutz) dumped into the top of the furnace that just got too hot or reacted badly (I'm no glass chemist.) There was also some bright yellow glass used that undoubtedly added similar effects. The black/gray on these cranberries? Honestly after eight years and a half years I don't remember, but I think it was likely lutz, or possibly black aventurine, but I'm not sure there was much - if any - of that. Lots of green a/v, some blue, and lutz. I don't think yellow would have been added to red glass, or purple - another color that shows up in later examples, notably the parrot. Just FYI.