It’s time for a machine learning app

Spherophile

The technology is all in place now with machine learning. You simply train the software by feeding it pictures and identifying what they are, and the software learns how to identify from them. This is being used with things such as plants, which have far more variability in terms of leaf shape, angle, size, etc. 

I’m a tech guy but not a coder, but anyone with basic coding skills could likely build the app framework in a week. Then it’s just a matter of feeding it pictures, which the users do themselves (someone who knows what they’re seeing just needs to review them on the back end). 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-smartphone-identify-anything-camfind/

The magic marble identification book.  I think there are more variables with marbles than leaves. Some marbles are the exact same from two different companies, like Ravenswood and Alley.  It would be something to see all the color combinations a computer could come up with for corkscrews. Some people has collected corks for 30-50 years and still finding new color combinations. I have big doubts that I will ever see that Magic Marble ID Book or App. But if someone can do it in a week. They could make a lot of money for years with one weeks work. It might be a problem finding that one person to do the review and are people going to agree or believe one person for every marble identification. That would be billions. 

Is someone planning on applying this app to marble identification ? I can’t imagine the database needed to pull this off to produce accurate IDs , especially with swirls. They have Chess programs that can beat any human in a game so I guess anything is possible  . This is scary, but thanks for sharing 

I agree there will be disagreement about some of the identifications, but I see that everywhere I look. For example, here’s some discussion about Akro Carnelians and other “axes,” where they show that whether they glow under UV is open to debate: http://www.landofmarbles.com/phpbb/showthread.php?29739-Akro-1

The app wouldn’t be perfect, but for many it would put them on the right track if not get it right. The technology we have available today is simply amazing.