Agateware Balls, not bowls

hdesousa

Often misnamed mochaware carpet balls (more accurately carpet bowls, for use in bowling), these are probably neither.

A prominent English antique pottery dealer describes them as " Decorated agateware balls, English late 18th century. Excellent condition and probably only intended as a decorative accessory. They replicate marble metamorphic spheres popularly acquired as souvenirs by the gentry and upper middle classes from the "Grand Tour" which was much in fashion in the 18thc."

Most are indeed found in good condition, obviously not having been treated as toys.  Largest is 4" (c.100 mm) diameter, center top.

Ball in the upper left is probably the only non-English one.  Stoneware from American Marble and Toy, Akron, OH, pre 1905.

Agateware balls.JPG

22 minutes ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Some of those remind me of 5-pin bowling, lol  The geometric ones are neat, what's the story on those?

Not much is known about these things.  They were bought from an embellished listing :

"Dated: 1780 to 1800 Staffordshire England

Four rare and various sized agateware earthenware pottery decorative balls. They are expertly made with elaborate designs within circular motifs featuring star shapes. The design and detail of these pieces are spectacular and exude stunning decorative appeal. The largest is 3.5 inches diameter the smallest 2.5 inches.

Diameter: 3.5 inches

Current Condition: No restoration with only minor abrasions related to age.

Provenance: Private Collection Cotswolds England"

Not sure how much of that is fact.

A similar one was talked about here several years ago: 

20 minutes ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Pretty impressive gathering.  What part do the figures play?

Oh, they're 12 anthropomorphic boxwood carvings the Chinese zodiac, each associated with one specific protector Buddhist deity.  https://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/8-zodiac-protectors.shtml                     I don't understand any of it, but they're supposed to protect my balls.

Hansel, I have seen your previous posts years ago sampling your amazing collection of these agateware balls.  I have since been looking for any example of them in the wild and on the bay and only found one that "might" be considered a distant cousin to these really coll orbs.  Thank you for sharing this really cool group pic again!