too large marble pics

In the album some such as this one still look unfocused.  But you can see the glass above it in sharp detail.    I use Windows Paint to resize photos to bring overlarge ones to a manageable size and reasonable sharpness.  However, your issue appears to be something other than the size.  The background that you're using is causing your camera to focus on the non-marble parts of the view.   Pick a neutral background without a lot of detail for the camera to focus on.   A regularly recommended background is a gray t-shirt.   If you keep picking up details on the material behind the marble and the marble stays blurry, then pull your camera back just a little to try to help the marble get into a comfortable focal range.

The photos you are showing in this thread started out out-of-focus.  At a size less than a postage stamp - it isn't so obvious.  At a size that is 20-times life size - its going to look bad when it starts life OOF.

How are you setting focus before you take the photo?  Spot focus?  Zone? Auto-focus?

If the latter - the camera will often struggle to find a focal point - usually by looking at high contrast zones.  On your photo on the clear glass frog - it found that focal point behind and left of the marble on the circular edge of a hole, which you can see is fairly crisply focused.

In another photo it seemed to struggle to find a focal point and settled (and not too well) on the background cloth behind the marble (wavy weave had the contrast).

Good focus starts with good lighting and understanding how your camera focuses, and your options in that camera for selecting focal points.  If your camera is "hunting" for a focus - thats a hint that you need to either change modes, get clutter out of the frame or adjust lighting.

The EXIF information is stripped from your photos so I can't see which camera you are using.

Its become popular to post photos that are 20-times (or more) larger than the marble.  That has caused a lot of folks to sacrifice focus for size.  They achieve that by bringing the lens closer to the marble than the focal range.  Result:  poor, blurry focus.   I'm not saying that is the cause of your problem, but I see it a lot.  Don't get closer than your camera can sharply focus.  Also - optical zoom is far better than digital zoom.  The latter introduces compression artifacts.

I'm going to buy a more versatile camera- one not too complicated, but can give me options. What do you suggest for a "never going to be a professional" but love taking good pictures.  I've seen a lot of photo buffs talking about taking photos in you all's forums, but most is daunting to me- this gal just wants to have fun....

1 hour ago, bonniemarbles said:

I'm going to buy a more versatile camera- one not too complicated, but can give me options. What do you suggest for a "never going to be a professional" but love taking good pictures.  I've seen a lot of photo buffs talking about taking photos in you all's forums, but most is daunting to me- this gal just wants to have fun....

What are you taking photos with now?  You may be able to make it work just fine.  Its really about understanding the features of what you have and choosing the one thats best for you.  A new camera won't necessarily take better pics than an old one.  I use a old camera - choose center-weighted spot focus, lock the lens focus roughly where I want it with the shutter button and then move in and out slightly to get a sharp focus.

Using "Auto" settings has the camera making decisions for you (not always well).

I'm going to buy a more versatile camera- one not too complicated, but can give me options. What do you suggest for a "never going to be a professional" but love taking good pictures.  I've seen a lot of photo buffs talking about taking photos in you all's forums, but most is daunting to me- this gal just wants to have fun....                                                                                     Please don't laugh, I used the camera in my cell phone because my older camera broke(I won't tell you how) . I just used my old one on Auto setting- I'm a painter, do on site creeks, vistas, etc. so haven't taken many photos to id anything much, (before retiring I read blue-prints of new homes & helped people pick out lighting fixtures & such) This is all pretty new to me, but can't think of a  better way to spend "stay in place" till life reorganizes in the world- keep safe

Steph, I redid my photos that were too lg. & blurry, using what comments you made, & what a world of difference, now maybe it won't so hard to get the marble identified  & put where it belongs, thanks a bunch!  PS. now I need to learn how to delete photos I no longer want in my photo file, another challenge!

Edited by bonniemarbles
to add a ps