Vacor De Mexico, anyone ??

Chad G.

This is from Marble Alan's archive's. They started w/ clay's in 1930, by 1934  where producing glass marble's, little is known about their early history, they started producing cats eye marble's in 1944 before the Japanese import's, they weren't well known by marble collector's till the late 1980's, to 1990's , eventually becoming the world's largest marble producer making over 12,000,000 marble's per day. Look's like we both stand corrected according to Alan. The history is a little clouded, hopefully this thread will produce some new information ??

ZZZZZZZZZ.PNG

13 hours ago, Chad G. said:

This is from Marble Alan's archive's. They started w/ clay's in 1930, by 1934  where producing glass marble's, little is known about their early history, they started producing cats eye marble's in 1944 before the Japanese import's, they weren't well known by marble collector's till the 1990's , eventually becoming the world's largest marble producer making over 12,000,000 marble's per day. Look's like we both stand corrected according to Alan.

ZZZZZZZZZ.PNG

Take a look at Stephen's video on Vacor marble's, he dates them 4 year's earlier ??? Who's right and who's wrong, tune in tomorrow same bat time, same bat place.

I posted this hoping to see someone w/some older boxes or bag's, I think the oldest box of Vacor I seen sold was on Mibbage's site a few year's back before they quit selling mib's. Maybe Iowamarble knows what I'm talking about. I will try to message Chad. " Wait I found it "

Found some pic's of early vacor boxes. Marketed as vacor swirl's and sold on Mibbage.com site a few years back. I messaged Iowamarble ( chad ) to see if him or Charles had any further info on this subject. Seen one other pic of similar box, same company on all about marble's, evidently a different company ??? :dunno:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzAloregon.PNG

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzaloregon.PNG

Waiting for more new's on vacor, I know it wasn't the only marble maker in Mexico. Only stand's to reason w/ that much money being made on marble's there had to be more than one manufacturer. million's and million's and million's of marble's and only one producer ??? Just trying to be company specific to vacor as far as info. I read the thread's on all about marbles you and other's have posted Al Oregon, and found the new information refreshing. I learn something new every day, still several opinion's and many bit's of evidence. I enjoy learning and sharing what I've learned.

Regards,

Chad G.

13 hours ago, Al Oregon said:

Their first marbles were clay and then plain or rough basic types, like clearies.  It wasn't until the 80's that they started making any marbles that we see today.  Packaging didn't start until the 90's.

Al Oregon = I lived in Oregon all my life except for Naval service, right across the Columbia river bridge about 4 mile's away from where I now live in Washington, in a little town called Rainier, small world isn't it.

Thank's again for your input.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:51 AM, Chad G. said:

Take a look at Stephen's video on Vacor marble's, he dates them 4 year's earlier ??? Who's right and who's wrong, tune in tomorrow same bat time, same bat place.

Alan's marble page was written long ago.  Back in a time when it still wasn't known for sure whether Helmets were Vitros or Akros.  His site crashed and was restored from archives, but Alan lost the juice to update it.   And then he fell ill and passed away.

When Craig recreated Alan's old pages, he left them as he found them.  Joe Street was planning to post a version with corrected information and asked my help and I didn't follow through.  Then cancer took Joe also.

Now, we can count ourselves lucky to have Craig's archive.  However, we have to realize its limitations due to the material being around 15 years old.

Al's information is more current than Alan's archived pages.   

Thanks Steph.  The information is all guesswork as Vacor did not keep any historical information that I could find.  I visited there a little over 10 years ago and the lady that gave us the private tour (bosses secretary) did not know of any information about earlier days or older marbles, etc. I use the 80's as a time frame because that is when it appears some Vacor marbles, other than clearies started to show up.  Some of this information was from a couple collectors in Mexico and Texas through the various boards over the years.  Chad - I was raised in Astoria and Warrenton before going to OSU; then the Navy for a few years and then back to Oregon - primarily in Salem area (now Keizer).

On 8/18/2020 at 7:21 AM, Steph said:

Alan's marble page was written long ago.  Back in a time when it still wasn't known for sure whether Helmets were Vitros or Akros.  His site crashed and was restored from archives, but with Alan lost the juice to update it.   And then he fell ill and passed away.

When Craig recreated Alan's old pages, he left them as he found them.  Joe Street was planning to post a version with corrected information and asked my help and I didn't follow through.  Then cancer took Joe also.

Now, we can count ourselves lucky to have Craig's archive.  However, we have to realize its limitations due to the material being around 15 years old.

Al's information is more current than Alan's archived pages.   

! remember when Alan died in 2012, He was born the same year I was, it was a sad time for me, as he was someone I always aspired to.Thank you Steph.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:16 AM, Al Oregon said:

Thanks Steph.  The information is all guesswork as Vacor did not keep any historical information that I could find.  I visited there a little over 10 years ago and the lady that gave us the private tour (bosses secretary) did not know of any information about earlier days or older marbles, etc. I use the 80's as a time frame because that is when it appears some Vacor marbles, other than clearies started to show up.  Some of this information was from a couple collectors in Mexico and Texas through the various boards over the years.  Chad - I was raised in Astoria and Warrenton before going to OSU; then the Navy for a few years and then back to Oregon - primarily in Salem area (now Keizer).

Thank's for the new and current info Al, learning as we go is good medicine.After my time in the Navy I and my Wife lived in Warrenton until the late 80's working @ a place I think you'll remember, Point Adam's Packing, a now long defunct seafood processing plant. My wife of 10 year's passed in 95 of cancer. I moved back to Rainier and began working at Foss maritime in Rainier as a welder building tugboat's, last job before becoming disabled. I appreciate the new info and thank you for sharing about your location's, your only an hour or two from me, man what a small, small world we live in.