Akro lashe's and the prefreese elimination

Chad G.

Here's one that Akro made prior to the 1922 prefreese improvement, eliminating the marker.These lash marks where present on all their mib's prior to the introduction of the new (notice I didn't say better ) prefreese production. I have many example's,( as I am sure you do also ) it sure narrowed the estimated production date of the mib down quite a bit. Do you have a preference, and the date 1922 ?? do you agree ??

1 (567).JPG

1 (568).JPG

I strongly disagree.

This is a myth that just won't go away.   It's not just you.  

The Moss Agate you show is from the 1930's.  And Akro corkscrews were introduced in 1930.  Possibly in production in 1929, but not in 1922.  

Ira Freese was gone from Akro before the Moss Agates and corkscrews were made so there are no  pre-freese  Moss Agates or corkscrews.   Some have lashes because the shears were dull.  Not because they were made before Ira Freese fixed the mechanism.   

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 2:10 PM, Steph said:

I strongly disagree.

This is a myth that just won't go away.   It's not just you.  

The Moss Agate you show is from the 1930's.  And Akro corkscrews were introduced in 1930.  Possibly in production in 1929, but not in 1922.  

Ira Freese was gone from Akro before the Moss Agates and corkscrews were made so there are no  pre-freese  Moss Agates or corkscrews.   Some have lashes because the shears were dull.  Not because they were made before Ira Freese fixed the mechanism.   

I'm glad you disagree, I knew that guy who told me that story went contrary to everything I had already learned. What you have stated is the truth I've always went with. Just goes to show ya allot of money and marble's don't make the story any truer, if it walk's like a duck and talk's like a duck, "it's a duck" No matter how pretty the feather's or eloquent the speech, it all come's out quack, quack in the end. Thanks' Steph ( I like the mib's w/ the lashe's better. P.S. the mib I have pictured is nearly 1" and glow's like the sun, therefore a lemonade patch ( i think). I'll take a pic for ya. Maybe I'm wrong again but moss agate's have a silver milky ace base and don't glow, and ade's  be it lemon, lime or cherry, or a blueberry have the uv ade ( depleted uranium ) base glass, they glow. Are there example's of moss agates that glow ?? I'm here to learn let er rip:evil-grin-smileys-111: I have moss agate's that look exactly like this one but have a more silver base glass and don't glow.  !! I know these bulb's I have make certain color's look pretty funky.

398.JPG

399.JPG

1 hour ago, Chad G. said:

Maybe I'm wrong again but moss agate's have a silver milky base and don't glow, and ade's  be it lemon, lime or cherry, or a blueberry have the uv ade base glass, they glow

In the patch version, most collectors call them Moss Agates whether the translucent white, tan or yellow base.   In the swirly or cork version, most collectors call them [edit: the glowing ones] Ades.   That's my experience anyway.   

Way back when, Akro called them all Moss Agate.      And they were very proud of that line.  Whether in the swirly/corky version or the patch version.   Those were some of their most expensive marbles.  They prominently featured their Moss Agates in their ads.  

I think most modern collectors don't realize how proud Akro was of the Moss Agate line and name.   I think modern collectors think it's a boring name and so they mostly give it to the patches and come up with more colorful names for the fancier styles.  

On 9/3/2020 at 3:21 PM, Steph said:

In the patch version, most collectors call them Moss Agates whether the translucent white, tan or yellow base.   In the swirly or cork version, most collectors call them Ades.   That's my experience anyway.   

Way back when, Akro called them all Moss Agate.      And they were very proud of that line.  Whether in the swirly/corky version or the patch version.   Those were some of their most expensive marbles.  They prominently featured their Moss Agates in their ads.  

I think most modern collectors don't realize how proud Akro was of the Moss Agate line and name.   I think modern collectors think it's a boring name and so they mostly give it to the patches and come up with more colorful names for the fancier styles.  

I like them both Steph, thank you for the info, I always collected marble's because I liked it not anybody else. People still laugh and i laugh right back at them. Perspective ,all in the eye of the beholder, I don't laugh at anyone anymore.Uh oh here we go again:Panic:

Edited by Chad G.
" Error "

• 2 weeks later...