Rare cat’s eye find

Chris Parson

When I find cat’s eyes here in Sweden, at second hand stores and fleamarkets, they usually have pretty weak and thin veins. This one is something else though. Found it yesterday. Diameter is about 16 mm (0,63”) -_-

I guess it’s tricky to identify but no one is happier than me if you give it a go. ^_^

AE330B27-186C-4464-BD14-80A43B9AAF69.thumb.jpeg.71ec4944c0c4004ccda11c25277fa7de.jpeg

• Like 1

99.99% sure that's Vacor.  :thup:  

The general pattern for the Vacors is for them to have three pairs of colors, in the way made famous by Asian marbles.  But I'm not surprised by three vanes of one color, two of another and one of the third.  

A key Vacor feature is how thick and wavy the vanes are.  

18 minutes ago, Steph said:

99.99% sure that's Vacor.  :thup:  

The general pattern for the Vacors is for them to have three pairs of colors, in the way made famous by Asian marbles.  But I'm not surprised by three vanes of one color, two of another and one of the third.  

A key Vacor feature is how thick and wavy the vanes are.  

Thank you, Steph! I did not know that Vacor made cat's eyes. :) I keep rotating it before my eyes and I think it's interesting how there are six vanes and three colours but how one of the vanes is orange on one side and yellow on the other, with a fading blend of the two colours on top of the vane. I don't know if that was meant to be or if it's normal? Otherwise, boring logic dictates that every colour should have two exclusive vanes each. :lol:

2 hours ago, Chris Parson said:

....  one of the vanes is orange on one side and yellow on the other, with a fading blend of the two colours on top of the vane. I don't know if that was meant to be or if it's normal? ....

I wouldn't expect it to have been intentional, but it is not surprising.  I have come to expect more variation with the Vacor version than with the similar Asian style.