Hello! Any gems here perchance??? ​ 💎 💎​​ 💎 ​

Jzoook6

Technically, yes = but the number of marbles that glow in the dark (as opposed to glowing under UV) is insignificant. Probably because the phosphor does not contribute to color in normal, visual light. In fact, it can detract from the visible color of a marble, dulling it, and even giving the marble a frosted appearance, which is not normally desirable.

In short, a phosphor marble is really only good for things like being imbedded in road signs and the like - they`re not attractive enough for "play" marbles, except as a curiosity, like the Mega marble shooter I mentioned above. They can pretty much be justifiably ignored by marble collectors. IMO.

• Like 1

oh wow ok so interesting thank you!!! 

My next question is if there are any colorways that are unique to a specific manufacturer? It seems like most every colorway I have seen has been done by at least 2 companies and I am having a surprisingly rough go of picking out the new from the old. 

3 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

My next question is if there are any colorways that are unique to a specific manufacturer? It seems like most every colorway I have seen has been done by at least 2 companies and I am having a surprisingly rough go of picking out the new from the old. 

That`s a hard one.

It`ll take a bit more thinking, but offhand what springs to mind are the machine-made CAC slags. If you have enough to compare them, the colors of the machine-made CAC slags are appreciably brighter than those of Akro (excepting maybe the red) and the Peltier feathered slags, but you really have to be able to sit a group of them side-by-side to really see it, I think. I did this as an experiment some time ago with a non-marble-collecting (but sympathetic) friend, just asking her what - if any - differences she saw. After a little study, she pointed to the CAC slags and said "these are really brighter, aren`t they? I mean once you`ve seen them, they would be hard to forget, I think."

Maybe after a little thinking, something else may come to mind, but I think in essence you`re right about companies sharing a certain number of colorways. Some may use color combos more than others, and of course CAC electric colors stand out from all other companies` colors, but . . .

• Like 1

Yes, exactly.

BTW, Henry Hellmers, Akro`s first professionally trained glass chemist (1921 - 1930; he replaced Arnold Fiedler) then went to work at Cambridge Glass, making many of their colors heat-resistant so they could be used for dinnerware, and developed some of their more famous colors, like Crown Tuscan and Heatherbloom. He was rehired by Akro in 1932 to create colors for their children`s dishes in addition to marble colors.

Connections . . .

• Like 1

Hellmers developed Heatherbloom with neodymium, which appears pink in artificial light but blue in sunlight, but as far as I know no one at the time used it in marbles, since it`s a very expensive rare-earth ingredient. But I do have a contemporary artist-made marble with neodymium, where it`s the base color with a  razor-thin white spiral inside. I forget now who made it, but I used to amuse myself at work sometimes by handing it to a co-worker, asking them to look at it, keep it closed in their hand, and then step outside with me while I had a cigarette. They would, and I`d say "take another look at that marble." Priceless expressions when the pink marble I`d handed them was suddenly blue. I`d just say "Magic!"

It was fun.

• Care 1

20 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

Also are you familiar with Paden City glass at all (~1919-1951)?

No, not really. I`m familiar with Hellmers and his work because some years ago his personal notebook with glass formulae was published in facsimile and I was able to get a copy - then followed up with a book or 2 on Cambridge Glass to see what some of his other colors were. He also worked for the Aladdin Lamp Co. but I didn`t spend much time on that because it was later than the time period I was interested in - 

Using uranium in glassmaking as a way to create green and yellow glass or in other colors, like white, makes the glass look different.  With about 10% of sunlight being UV light, this will definetly affect the look of the colors than glass colored without the use of darkness and a modern UV light.  it is difficult to photograph it without considerable setup, but we have a vintage green canister set and vintage green measuring cups.  The measuring cups are all UV reactive and they have a definite warmer glowing green yellow color than the traditionally-colored green glass, side by side.  Uranium has been widely used to color glass since the mid 1800s and was very popular for many decades!!   The casually-named Vaseline Glass was very popular and is varying styles of a yellow green (photo borrowed, item not mine).  It is also used to color opaque glass is seen in the second photo, also not mine, below.  And as mentioned above, when that glass is used as cullet for marbles, the UV quality is passed on.  Uranium is still in use today to color glass.

Screenshot_20221017_200504_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20221017_200815_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221017_201125_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicagocyclist said:

Using uranium in glassmaking as a way to create green and yellow glass or in other colors, like white, makes the glass look different.  With about 10% of sunlight being UV light, this will definetly affect the look of the colors than glass colored without the use of darkness and a modern UV light.  it is difficult to photograph it without considerable setup, but we have a vintage green canister set and vintage green measuring cups.  The measuring cups are all UV reactive and they have a definite warmer glowing green yellow color than the traditionally-colored green glass, side by side.  Uranium has been widely used to color glass since the mid 1800s and was very popular for many decades!!   The casually-named Vaseline Glass was very popular and is varying styles of a yellow green (photo).  It is also used to color opaque glass is seen in the second photo below.  And as mentioned above, when that glass is used as cullet for marbles, the UV quality is passed on.  Uranium is still in use today to color glass.

Screenshot_20221017_200504_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20221017_200815_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221017_201125_Chrome.jpg

are those candlesticks yours?!?! wowowow

11 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

Also would love to see pics of the measuring cups sometime (not even under UV) if you think of it!  here some of my uranium kitchen stuff ---I wonder if this reamer goes with the cups you have. 

image.jpeg

By the time that's all started it was getting dark and I wanted to shoot him in daylight so tomorrow I'll shoot them.  We have a just remember but it's clear.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

No rush! Thank you! Heres some other random uranium treasures that were mostly made in Ohio or WV pre-1940s 

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_09D8A667FAA3-1.jpeg

Very cool!!  Love the jar!  We have one Depression Glass dish left of the many that we had that broke over the years and it glows nice, too!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Commonly called "Depression Glass"  IMO  Very nice  :)

Yes some of it is depression glass (like the jar)! but most is EAPG (Early American Pressed Glass) which came before depression glass era (1870s) OLD

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

Yes some of it is depression glass (like the jar)! but most is EAPG (Early American Pressed Glass) which came before depression glass era (1870s) OLD

Yeah, that jar is what triggered me, what a beauty

Just now, Chad G. said:

Yeah, that jar is what triggered me, what a beauty

its a cookie jar! Hocking Glass "Cameo Green' 1930s. got it at the goodwill for $1.99 like a month ago...real lids in good condition are hard to come by. 

IMG_919E814A58C4-1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

its a cookie jar! Hocking Glass "Cameo Green' 1930s. got it at the goodwill for $1.99 like a month ago...real lids in good condition are hard to come by. 

IMG_919E814A58C4-1.jpeg

I had a full set of Strawberry depression glass dinnerware w/ almost the exact same chain & tassel design on it, a common 30's pressing In take it ??

2 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

I had a full set of Strawberry depression glass dinnerware w/ almost the exact same chain & tassel design on it, a common 30's pressing In take it ??

the glass was strawberry pink? or there were strawberries in the pattern? That pattern came in pink (see pic) but there are also tons of patterns. Do you have any photos?

image.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

the glass was strawberry pink? or there were strawberries in the pattern? That pattern came in pink (see pic) but there are also tons of patterns. Do you have any photos?

image.jpeg

No pix, I gave the set to my Mother-in-law years ago !! Plates, saucers, coffee cups etc. I forget how many pieces total but I believe it was a setting for 4. That looks like it !!

• Like 1