Hello! Any gems here perchance??? ​ 💎 💎​​ 💎 ​

Jzoook6

Good evening!! I have a pretty random collection of marbles and am trying to figure out if I have any particularly interesting/rare ones. Here is a random selection of blues--sorry for the shadowy pic, thanks in advance for any/all feedback, and TGIF :)

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.11.58 PM.png

"Welcome to Marble Connection Jean"   :wave2:

Well !! a few different manufacturers there. Mostly W. Va. looks like to me w/ a few other manufactures thrown in. For a more accurate I.D. try to post some close-ups & multiple views of each marble including the seams.  Measurements in fractions of an inch are also most helpful when I.D.ing a certain manufacturer. I do see a few nice Alleys in there I really like but due to the number of marbles presented in a single pic almost impossible to point them out individually. Again "Welcome" 

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

I believe that the 0.62 Marble is a Vitro.
The 0.95 may be a large Peltier "Rainbo".

All opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Nice marbles,
And welcome to you as well.
Marble—On!!

I agree with Vitro on the 0.62 and a bigger pelt on 0.95 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jzoook6 said:

I expected some to glow uranium/vaseline green but was surprised about the orangey pink glow. Need to do some more research on that. 

The orangey - pink glow is usually from magnesium -

And yes, a nice PPP.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jzoook6 said:

Oh that is very interesting. I guess some marbles are made of naturally flourescent minerals and some are made of glass with added uranium? 

I know that it depends on the particular glass formulae involved - for instance uranium was seen as a colorant that would produce a vaseline-colored yellow, but I doubt it was known to fluoresce under UV at that time. Same for magnesium - known and used as a colorant in certain formulae, but without the knowledge that it would fluoresce under UV.

42 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

Yes even though the black light bulb was invented in the early 1900's, I doubt they were commercially available at the same time. Do you happen to know if any uranium marbles were produced after WW2?  

IMG_4039.JPG

IMG_4042.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4053.JPG

IMG_4057.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG

This is just on the use of Uranium & Depleted Uranium (before & after ww2 ) in glass, no necessarily marbles.

LINK ::  https://www.orau.org/health-physics-museum/collection/consumer/glass/vaseline-uranium-glass.html

image.thumb.png.0cf4b55e6a44f766260800903ce79ed0.png

image.png.2b4526716db3beb11642972c128e0e27.png

A lot of beating around the bush, I can't get a straight answer here ??

image.png.4fee92a7d150da8beaec1e4258178334.png

• Like 1

Perfect. Also, I don`t know what exactly is used in "Burma Glass" that makes it light up under UV - probably uranium too - but some of the JABO special runs used it (I think from Fenton?) and glow like crazy. The Ultra Run comes to mind . . .

• Like 1

Yes, machine made and contemporary hand made marbles which glow under black light, have been made steady since WWII up until today.  Almost if not all the vintage and current machine made companies made marbles which glow under black light up to the present day.  Lots of marbles, classics and many investor runs glow.  Many modern torch and tank hand made marbles will glow. Even some old German hand made marbles can glow. Some marbles need to glow to be a certain named marble, Akro Lemonade, Cherryade, Orangeade, etc. Alley Pistachio, and many more.    

• Like 1

awesomeness! I know there are contemporary marbles that glow in the dark, but I figured they would have been made with some other sort of phosphor dust rather than uranium.  

What is this middle guy's base color, pray tell? 

Thank you for sharing all of your wisdom! 

image.thumb.jpeg.c5945384b4b0a8691418277df1dfdd29.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.141a302460e11876f491bcc8c27f9ff1.jpeg

Maybe a light pink or very thin red. 

Most machine made marbles that glow and many modern contemporary marbles glow because the cullet used in making them glowed originally. All Jabos that glow, do so because the glass cullet(scrap)used to make them glowed originally.  Akro, CAC and maybe a couple other companies made marbles with raw batch glass and added material to make the marbles glow. Why I am not sure ? I do not think many kids had a blacklight back in the 1930's- 1940's- or 1950's. I know in the 1950's I had never heard of a black light.  

• Like 1

Sorry for the poor photo but I believe the vase on the left is made of depleted uranium (post '56) while the two on the right are made of the good stuff (pre 1940) 

I wonder how the depleted uranium compares to other phosphor compounds in terms of vibrancy (wow factor 😎)

IMG_6934B4874C98-1.jpeg

Just a note - glowing under UV and glowing in the dark are two separate things, with different chemicals involved. Glowing in the dark without the use of a UV light usually involves phosphorus, and I know that some time ago an experiment was made at JABO (during the time of the special runs but NOT part of one) but was unsuccessful because the guy who wanted to try it (I believe he was a chemical salesman), couldn`t or wouldn`t give them enough to affect the glass in the tank.

On the other hand, I have a net bag of Mega Marbles that are a kind of frosted white in which the shooter (and only the shooter) glows in the dark. It eventually fades, but you just toss it in sunlight for a while and that re-activates it - when I was a kid an elderly relative had a little statue of the Virgin Mary that glowed in the dark. I would sit in the closet with it until the glow was gone . . .

• Care 1