1980 -- News and media coverage of Rolley Hole Marbles in the 1980s

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 7:32 PM, bumblebee said:

Wow...look at the shooting technique of some of these fellas. Seriously deadly aim, and artful wind up.

This is also why I recommend to those who can attend a game, to do so. The last game played at this years tournament (the one that got cut off the stream), was the best played on that yard in the 39 years they’ve been doing it. 

That is from the man who started the tournament at Standing Stone. 

• Like 1

I haven't watched the videos yet.  Just bumping the thread to mention that I have the book entitled A Stone's Throw: The History of Marbles in the Upper Cumblerland Region of Tennessee and Kentucky, by Darren Shell.  

I'm so bad, I got it years ago yet I haven't even removed the cellophane wrapper.  

So now I have it on top of my to-do stack to remind me to watch the videos and read the book.  

8 hours ago, Steph said:

I haven't watched the videos yet.  Just bumping the thread to mention that I have the book entitled A Stone's Throw: The History of Marbles in the Upper Cumblerland Region of Tennessee and Kentucky, by Darren Shell.  

I'm so bad, I got it years ago yet I haven't even removed the cellophane wrapper.  

So now I have it on top of my to-do stack to remind me to watch the videos and read the book.  

If you flip through the book and see an image of the Queen of England, it may be a book we don’t speak of due to it having many issues. 

Unfortunately that’s all I know of the book we had hidden away somewhere at the park. I can’t cite the issues but my boss said it wasn’t bad, but someone could make much better. In the end we are always thankful someone even tried at all. 

That’s all said with uncertainty because I’ve not gotten hands on the book. Like a lot of info I posted, it was spoken of but no one could get it in my hands. It took months of sorting through filing cabinets, forgotten tapes, and photos to get anything since, like the book, it was “lost”. 

seeing your post does remind me that I have a ton of photos to post, though I’m not sure how to go about posting 100+ marbles photos. 

• 4 months later...

Hey all, I have been a bit busy but while working I found a ton of old scanned newspaper and magazene articles about Rolley Hole and marbles at Standing Stone State Park. There is also a good looking document on Bud Garret (the marbles maker).

I have not had time to do much reading, but went ahead and scanned it all in. 

Marbles newspapers 2 .pdf Marbles newspapers 1.pdf Marbles festivle news.pdf Marbles delivered news.pdf Bud Garret.pdf

• Like 3

• 4 months later...