Ravenswood vs. Alley Agate it may be a tuff one.

akroorka

Ok, so I am studying this new book that I purchased, “Alley Agate Company—Marbles and Pressed Glass” 
( a very nice book with lots of info and images, well made and quality for sure I also purchased the  Book ”L.E. Alley “Father of West Virginia Swirls” & Maker of Fine Tableware” by L.E. Alley III, which is another well put together book if you are into the Alley Agate collectibles other than marbles)
This marble that I was researching went like this---it must be an Alley---it must be an Alley---it must be an Alley---it must be an Alley---it must be an Alley---until I got to page #101.
Now it may be a Ravenswood, which I thought from the start.
Oh well, I still suck at WVS ID.
Help me out with your opinion. This one is just over 9/16”.
It is a nice little Orb.
Marble—On!!

1 Final.jpg

2 Final.jpg

• Like 1

I see Ravenswood.  How I do remember a couple long years helping Larry with the books.  Just like all marble books, none are 100% correct. Things change even as the books are being printed. Publishers leave important lines out due to space. It takes great care to keep the correct marbles and identifications together correctly. I have proof read more than one before printing and then the printer changes something. As I say many times, it is a long list of why marble books are not all correct. But they are much needed and I appreciate every author who has took the challenge of doing one. Just some of the reasons why I will never do it. They make very good money from the books. Some people would be amazed at the profit.  But what is a thousand or more big headaches for a year or years, worth ?  

• Like 1
  • Award 2

When you see a US made swirl and see 9/16. The first thought is eliminate Ravenswood or not. Ravenswood made more 9/16 swirls than any other company.  Then if it is not a Ravenswood go to the other companies. At 9/.16 size, US swirl unless it is obviously not a Ravenswood, then a good chance it is.  The extra little line of color out away from the main color is also a good Ravenswood trait. Many times this little thin line will be blue color. The vast majority of Ravenswoods color striping are transparent.  The color combo is very close or same as some Alleys. But Ravenswood made far more 9/16 size than Alley did at any of his locations.  The pattern does not flame, it does not have the fish hooks, small turkeys, etc. all more Alley traits. It was fast down to  a older Alley or Ravenswood. One has to be eliminated.  Plus I have dug a few at Ravenswood that match the one above. 

• Award 2

1 hour ago, wvrons said:

Many times this little thin line will be blue color.

This what what turned me towards a Ravenswood.

Good clue and the size will be respected in the future as well.

I will continue to learn until the end---

Thanks and Marble--On!!