Akro Popeyes have become my favorites lately, what are some of the rarer combinations you've seen?

chocomibs

Here's a rare example that's not exactly a Popeye, or is it?

I think these were discovered around 1997/8 and were call 'Akro Experiential Oxblood'. Danney Turner: Running Rabit auctions had a few of these. Danny has always been the best and I think the namesake came from whoever he'd sold it for B/C he knows Oxblood like no other seller. I'd bought out a marble buddy's collection, he'd got it from Turner.

Yet, you see any brown/red? Neither do I B/C there ain't no Oxblood. 

Rather, there's a most unusual special red, like no other. There's more color than meets the eye. White,, clear, a layer of bubbly green blue translucent and red. 

It's not a corkscrew either, or is it?

It is like two complete strands each have their own twist entangled together. 

I can not imagine how this happened. How they twisted and came together. I mean, that's not how Barker's spinning cup works at all. It makes patches, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 1 and as much as two full twists all at the same time it's operating. This is just plain weird. Size 3/4"

Not exactly a Popeye.

However, as they go it's the only place or verity Akro made that it fits into. Go figure? 'Experiential Popeye' is more like it and are very rare. ;)

BTW, I put copy rites only so that it stops somebody from profiting from my photo. I do not mind if peeps save for their own use, sharing.

207004670_akrodoublepopye.jpg.4a5b1e85775a253708ebe54966810d6a.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

Here's a rare example that's not exactly a Popeye, or is it?

I think these were discovered around 1997/8 and were call 'Akro Experiential Oxblood'. Danney Turner: Running Rabit auctions had a few of these. Danny has always been the best and I think the namesake came from whoever he'd sold it for B/C he knows Oxblood like no other seller. I'd bought out a marble buddy's collection, he'd got it from Turner.

Yet, you see any brown/red? Neither do I B/C there ain't no Oxblood. 

Rather, there's a most unusual special red, like no other. There's more color than meets the eye. White,, clear, a layer of bubbly green blue translucent and red. 

It's not a corkscrew either, or is it?

It is like two complete strands each have their own twist entangled together. 

I can not imagine how this happened. How they twisted and came together. I mean, that's not how Barker's spinning cup works at all. It makes patches, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 1 and as much as two full twists all at the same time it's operating. This is just plain weird. Size 3/4"

Not exactly a Popeye.

However, as they go it's the only place or verity Akro made that it fits into. Go figure? 'Experiential Popeye' is more like it and are very rare. ;)

BTW, I put copy rites only so that it stops somebody from profiting from my photo. I do not mind if peeps save for their own use, sharing.

207004670_akrodoublepopye.jpg.4a5b1e85775a253708ebe54966810d6a.jpg

I think you meant "Experimental", not "Experiential" (two different meanings).

First, they aren't "experimental".  These specific types, of which there aren't many, were found by a digger I'll refer to as "W" in the Akro site French Drain.  I know because I visited the drain and was the primary buyer from him.  They and some other odd types were discarded into the drain because they didn't meet the type that Akro wanted to produce.  There was some weird stuff that came out of that relative compact drain content.

And you are right, they aren't oxbloods.  I have a number of them.

15 minutes ago, Alan said:

I think you meant "Experimental", not "Experiential" (two different meanings).

First, they aren't "experimental".  These specific types, of which there aren't many, were found by a digger I'll refer to as "W" in the Akro site French Drain.  I know because I visited the drain and was the primary buyer from him.  They and some other odd types were discarded into the drain because they didn't meet the type that Akro wanted to produce.  There was some weird stuff that came out of that relative compact drain content.

And you are right, they aren't oxbloods.  I have a number of them.

Yeah you are correct, 'Experiential' I do remember the Duch pipe story. Not much though as some was kept secretive; could you elaborate? Was that where all the blue and yellow parch Popeyes and "3/4"Experiential crystal oxblood" came from? Those black chocolate bricks too. Do you recall the year??

On 12/28/2022 at 9:29 PM, Jeff54 said:

Yeah you are correct, 'Experiential' I do remember the Duch pipe story. Not much though as some was kept secretive; could you elaborate? Was that where all the blue and yellow parch Popeyes and "3/4"Experiential crystal oxblood" came from? Those black chocolate bricks too. Do you recall the year??

There isn't much to add really.  The French Drain was pretty narrow.  'W' told me that there was only room to go straight-in, and no room to turn around.  He had to scoot backwards to get back out.  Risky business.  Much of what came out of there (that I recall) were weird oxbloods, some odd translucent big pieces with a floaty internal 1-piece swirl thing (IIRC ~7/8"... a few dozen of these went into the hobby) and a few other things.  Again, everything in the drain was a discard while they were dialing-in production to whatever design they intended.  The oxbloods tended to defy expected appearances - some being a clear  base with internal oxblood in a solid, well-defined twisted swirl. All large... around 13/16" (like your piece - right?)  There are very, very few of these in the hobby.((ETA:  Bob Block just sold one at auction: https://bid.marbleauctions.com/lots/view/4-8AGFCQ/akro-agate-company-experimental-2532-mint-99 )). I have three oxblood patches on what appears to be a black base.  When strongly backlit, the base is a dark gray-olive.  Even far fewer of these were found.

Hope this helps.

Alan

• Like 1