Do Moonies and Flinties always have fire?

I take it this is a specifically Akro question.   @Melissa, maybe post a couple of pics of the ones with the slits but no glow? 

My general impression is that as the years went on the fisheyes got smaller and smaller, the marbles became more opaque, and the fire got less and less. 

However, I don't know if I ever got a firm answer on whether ALL the flintie colors had the fire once upon a time.  

And there's another name at play.  Akro sold some solid color marbles as "Fire Opals".  One might hope those all had fire, but did they?

• Like 1

From the web archive of MarbleAlan.com http://web.archive.org/web/20030627125058/http://marblealan.com/akro/

FLINT MOONIES AND FIRE OPALS

Akro Agate Flint Moonies (referred to by many collectors simply as "moonies") are translucent white marbles composed of opalescent glass, which will glow orangish when held to a light. Flinties are also opalescent, but have colored base glass (brown, yellow, green, red, and blue, in increasing order of rarity); "Fire Opal" is Akro's name to refer to their red Flinties. Akro Agate's opalescent marbles can be distinguished by their small clear "eye," a small circular area of clear glass surrounded by the remaining cloudy matrix.

• Thanks 1

i didn't see any info on Alan's Akro page about non-opalescent solid colored marbles. so maybe the intent was that they would all have 'fire' but some just don't light up as much? (speculating here, and thinking back to when i played with glass... i had rods that looked clear, but which turned 'cloudy' with heat. the transformation was not always consistent...) 

My bet is that some of the marbles Akro packaged as Flinties did not show the opalescent fire. I say this because I have a few marbles that show the "fish eye" and other traits that point to Akro and they do not glow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melissa said:

The three in back have fire. The small three in front do not. Are they all flinties and moonies?

8DC2BA2F-BD86-4992-9C3D-93B07474A49A.jpeg

I'm gonna say a solid yes for all but the biggest one in back.    I would want to see some more structure on the biggest.  I don't recognize that beautiful gold tone.  Could be my fault.  Maybe someone else will recognize it right away.

As for the three on front, not having fire might disappoint and might thus detract from monetary value, but I would certainly keep them together as Akros Flinties and Moonies.  

16 minutes ago, Steph said:

I'm gonna say a solid yes for all but the biggest one in back.    I would want to see some more structure on the biggest.  I don't recognize that beautiful gold tone.  Could be my fault.  Maybe someone else will recognize it right away.

As for the three on front, not having fire might disappoint and might thus detract from monetary value, but I would certainly keep them together as Akros Flinties and Moonies. 

I agree, although I think that back left one may just be one of the early styles that has a very large and sort of diffuse eye on each pole.

That's what I suspected. And look at how different its color looks depending on the background. It's always important to make sure that your photo actually matches the marble or attempts at ID can really be stymied.