Vitro/Akro?

Melissa

2, 3, 4 look like ....(comment removed by author as incorrectly posted).  1 looks Akro.

As a comment, the last photo were the two marbles are actually not overlapping each other I think the way you should shoot all of your stuff.  It is kind of distracting to try to be looking at one marble one while another marble is obscuring part.  You certainly have room in the frame for an extra quarter inch separation!!!  :D

6 minutes ago, chicagocyclist said:

2, 3, 4 look like All Reds to me with 4 being a messy version.  1 looks Akro.

As a comment, the last photo were the two marbles are actually not overlapping each other I think the way you should shoot all of your stuff.  It is kind of distracting to try to be looking at one marble one while another marble is obscuring part.  You certainly have room in the frame for an extra quarter inch separation!!!  :D

Thank you.  And thanks for the photo tip! :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chicagocyclist said:

2, 3, 4 look like All Reds to me with 4 being a messy version.  1 looks Akro.

All Reds with no red?

1 hour ago, chicagocyclist said:

lol!!  Yeah I meant Yellow Jackets.

Any idea how the two color "Yellow Jackets" in that poster differ from newer All Reds?

And please know, I am not being confrontational at all, just trying to lead the conversation in a direction I think it needs to go. 🙂

• Care 1

My order of certainty for Akro went 100% on bottom right, 95% and then "all in" on top right, "hmmm" at first and then "yeah, it fits" on bottom left.  I'm sticking with Akro on all three of those. 

Here's a box of Akro TriColor Agates to enjoy and compare.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steph said:

My order of certainty for Akro went 100% on bottom right, 95% and then "all in" on top right, "hmmm" at first and then "yeah, it fits" on bottom left.  I'm sticking with Akro on all three of those. 

Here's a box of Akro TriColor Agates to enjoy and compare.

image.jpeg

Steph, thanks for pulling my wagon out of the muddy ditch!!!  🤨  Saving that photo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Ric said:

Any id

Any idea how the two color "Yellow Jackets" in that poster differ from newer All Reds?

And please know, I am not being confrontational at all, just trying to lead the conversation in a direction I think it needs to go. 🙂

Ric,

I know how these posts can sound.  It takes a lot of extra energy to type things like "Wow.  That is surprising!  I didn't know that.  Any idea why?"  I try, cause that is the way I talk.  Otherwise things can sound sharp, so thanks for your clarification.  I am surely here to learn and do make some rookie ID errors.

I got that photo from a post I was in about that same question.  The end result was that it was not known why there are clearly All Reds in there and then All Reds separately.  As I recall, there are original All Reds labeled bags with what we would call Yellow Jackets right in there.  It was suggested that they just filled ordered as they could and didn't worry.  The bottom line for collectors as it didn't really matter as it would not change their minimal dollar worth, still minimal.  Altho I wish sellers knew of their minimal value as I collect the Yellow Jackets with the aqua equator band, and I surely am paying more than minimal value!

• Like 1
  • Care 1

5 minutes ago, chicagocyclist said:

Ric,

I know how these posts can sound.  It takes a lot of extra energy to type things like "Wow.  That is surprising!  I didn't know that.  Any idea why?"  I try, cause that is the way I talk.  Otherwise things can sound sharp, so thanks for your clarification.

I got that photo from a post I was in about that same question.  The end result was that it was not known why there are clearly All Reds in there and then All Reds separately.  As I recall, there are original All Reds labeled bags with what we would call Yellow Jackets right in there.  It was suggested that they just filled ordered as they could and didn't worry.  The bottom line for collectors as it didn't really matter as it would not change their minimal dollar worth, still minimal.  Altho I wish sellers knew of their minimal value as I collect the Yellow Jackets with the aqua equator band, and I surely am paying more than minimal value!

That's why I added the clarification. I am often too short with my responses and I need to remember that not everybody knows me. I'm pretty sure I saw you at the Decatur Show this past November but I was sort of preoccupied and didn't have a chance to introduce myself. People that know me know I am a pretty nice guy - not really the confrontational type, it's just not my nature. So if I ever come off as snippy please give me the benefit of the doubt, chances are I am just being lazy. 🙂

Now back to marbles . . . If I remember right the "All Red Line" was a pretty early offering from Vitro - maybe as early as the 1930s. Initially, it might even have covered marbles like TriLites. But I think the marbles that were packaged as All Reds came out in the late 1950s (the Black Line variety) and, if I am not mistaken, the Yellow Jackets started being produced in the mid 1960s. I think that the marbles we typically think of as Yellow Jackets and the All Red (or at least All Red-like) marbles in that poster were likely produced about the same time. And if the company wanted to get the most bang out of their "Yellow Jacket bucks" it seems like an easy way to do it would be to "dilute" their packages with what are, essentially, newer style All Reds that all have a yellow patch (Certainly, the Yellow Jackets were more expensive to produce because of the additional color). Of course, this is a lot of speculation on my part and is really just my opinion of why the marbles might have appeared together in the poster. Eventually though, and probably about the same time or shortly after, and perhaps in an effort to lower production costs, the more common new style of All Red without the black line began being packaged. My bet is that you really could never tell those marbles in the Yellow Jacket poster from the similar marbles that were packaged as All Reds (the newer style).

Sort of long winded but that's my story - at least until Steph or someone else who knows better comes and straightens me out. 😄

• Haha 1
  • Award 1

34 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's why I added the clarification. I am often too short with my responses and I need to remember that not everybody knows me. I'm pretty sure I saw you at the Decatur Show this past November but I was sort of preoccupied and didn't have a chance to introduce myself. People that know me know I am a pretty nice guy - not really the confrontational type, it's just not my nature. So if I ever come off as snippy please give me the benefit of the doubt, chances are I am just being lazy. 🙂

Now back to marbles . . . If I remember right the "All Red Line" was a pretty early offering from Vitro - maybe as early as the 1930s. Initially, it might even have covered marbles like TriLites. But I think the marbles that were packaged as All Reds came out in the late 1950s (the Black Line variety) and, if I am not mistaken, the Yellow Jackets started being produced in the mid 1960s. I think that the marbles we typically think of as Yellow Jackets and the All Red (or at least All Red-like) marbles in that poster were likely produced about the same time. And if the company wanted to get the most bang out of their "Yellow Jacket bucks" it seems like an easy way to do it would be to "dilute" their packages with what are, essentially, newer style All Reds that all have a yellow patch (Certainly, the Yellow Jackets were more expensive to produce because of the additional color). Of course, this is a lot of speculation on my part and is really just my opinion of why the marbles might have appeared together in the poster. Eventually though, and probably about the same time or shortly after, and perhaps in an effort to lower production costs, the more common new style of All Red without the black line began being packaged. My bet is that you really could never tell those marbles in the Yellow Jacket poster from the similar marbles that were packaged as All Reds (the newer style).

Sort of long winded but that's my story - at least until Steph or someone else who knows better comes and straightens me out. 😄

Thank you for the explanation it's always nice to have some and make sure. I'm a nice guy but I'm kind of intense and that can come off as bossy or opinionated or arrogant or all sorts of things but you get to know me and it's intensity!

Your long responses pretty much what I was hinting at with my all too short response, so I'm in agreement that that's what I've heard and understand it to be. 

Next time, let's make sure we connect.  I will be at Decatur in a few weeks so see you there??  Ric is the same name that my friend uses for his name Ricardo, so that'll help me remember you in person!

6 hours ago, chicagocyclist said:

I'm wondering if upper left is a Mushroom type from Japan.  They have that type of messy translucent patch that wraps far around.

Seems like it would be missing the "stem"?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chicagocyclist said:

That's loud when I thought but then I look at this post . . .

In all cases, I think there are two equatorial ribbons (or patches) of one color around the equator - not seeing that here.