Is this a slag or a swirl?

mibby wonka

Actually, from MFC, Akro, CAC and Peltier it's near all the same for a 9 swirl is a result of the method used to gather the glass with punty rod. There are a few colors that MFC did not make but amber browns everybody did.

However, this particular 9 shape was found to be pretty regular whenever Hand gathered slags, opaques and others were dug-up about 20 years ago at the Akro plant site. I do not think one could say, every time it's shaped like that, it must be an Akro but, I do that, for the evidence, the odds are higher than others:

AkroDug-H-G-2004.thumb.jpg.1dd9d17834c926ca4ab09e297afcb160.jpg

• Award 2

On 5/18/2023 at 7:59 AM, Jeff54 said:

Actually, from MFC, Akro, CAC and Peltier it's near all the same for a 9 swirl is a result of the method used to gather the glass with punty rod. There are a few colors that MFC did not make but amber browns everybody did.

However, this particular 9 shape was found to be pretty regular whenever Hand gathered slags, opaques and others were dug-up about 20 years ago at the Akro plant site. I do not think one could say, every time it's shaped like that, it must be an Akro but, I do that, for the evidence, the odds are higher than others:

AkroDug-H-G-2004.thumb.jpg.1dd9d17834c926ca4ab09e297afcb160.jpg

interesting! All of these are akro? 

On 5/19/2023 at 7:52 PM, mibby wonka said:

interesting! All of these are akro? 

Yup! That image is a  2004 collage I put together of some of the ebay seller's (Wayne)who had acquired direct and virtually unsorted from one of the diggers who'd  discovered them. Those and more were freshly dug out of a drainage pipe months before I got these 2004/5 . 

There were a few colors that were thought only CAC made: Brilliant near eclectic lime green in opaque and translucent, with a dark transparent brown/black which were believed to be very rare CAC years before this discovery. . A real Oddity red slag exactly same as a CAC Road and tunnel.  Some also called exclusive CAC American Agate. Accordingly, The only red MFC made was Oxblood. Many that were confused as MFC. Blues, greens, yellow, orange, brown, chocolate, red, purple, lavender, grays and more. I do not have photos of all the different colors and or shades that I have.

Akro was very busy with hand gathered color before the transition into modern automation. It makes a ton of sense too. By the early 1920, with all other companies doing the same thing, they had the market flooded to the extent, like cat eyes, kids were probably bored with them. 

Confused where those in light blue to be MFC Persian turquoise yet unlike MFC they are not solid opaque and not a color match for the shade MFC made to resemble, of the most valuable Turquoise which is: Persian turquoise gem stone.. No MFC Opaques in Jade, the purple is different and so too yellow.

An Opaque lite blue mixed with gray, another mixed with a transparent blue and an aqua slag with small amounts of Oxblood. Clearies with opalescence orange hue when back lit.

Akro Cornelians and others with the dark red Cornelian shade that are simi transparent. That red and back 9er is one. and more. As I have right about 100 of the dug-ups, practically more colors than I can list without photos of the full spectrum. There were only a few examples that I did not get.

Regardless, there are many people claiming some are MFC which is wrong not because whether the 9 pattern is clear or not but none are MFC colors.

Akro Hand-Gathered dug-up group 2004-5.jpg