Resin Coating Project

Kimbernugs

I've been wanting to try to coat damaged marbles in clear resin and did 2 so far with decent results, but I didn't have any other damaged marbles. Fire1981 was nice enough to send a few my way to see what I could do. Below are the "before" pics of Groups 1 and 2. I'm gonna get started this weekend and over time post the results. Wish me luck cause these are some awesome mibs!20230517_171303.thumb.jpg.d8f6deaeb9a73854f7636e4d848f9ca5.jpg20230517_172045.thumb.jpg.0f4bd26e59be637fa578de53cf163b86.jpg

• Like 1

It was harder then I thought to sort for your project marbles. I had to choose if I really wanted to “erase “ the history of the surface glass or not. It’s weird but having to choose these groups was challenging. Maybe the resin can allow more of the matrix to be exposed on some of these or not. I sent Kimber marbles that wouldn’t tax his resin supply. No need to send a marble with a big chunk missing. Let me know which one you start with first. I’m all Geeked Up. Can’t wait to see you do your thing.🔥

RAR

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fire1981 said:

The lashes are a nice little bonus🔥

RAR

Thanks! I noticed those lashes as well, which I didn't notice before the resin treatment. I showed my mom the before pic and then the mib in hand and she said "That's not a very pretty marble." We're no longer on speaking terms. LOL! 

There remains an issue with areas on some mibs where there is additional resin that needs ro be sanded and buffed. I got a Dremel and some sanders and buffers to try that route. Not sure how well the resin will react to all that but we will soon see!

More posts to follow. 

• Like 1

OK ! I’m going to walk you through the pic of my marbles and tell you which ones are important. 12:00 Yellow Pelt with black ribbons. There is a green and red tracer ribbon against one of the black ribbons. That’s one.

The one below that that looks like an Oxblood Bat in a green transparent base glass would be the second one.

Third one would be the Liberty/Pop Eye or whatever ID is attached to that one at 7:00

Last one and I know it’s bigger is the Red Slag/Corkscrew at 10:00. I can’t tell if it’s a Slag or Corkscrew. Let’s find out 🔥🔥🔥

RAR

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

If anyone thinks this is going in the wrong direction and these could get sold off in hand. It’s easy. They are not going to feel like glass. Keep going Kimber. 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Excellent point! They definitely have a feel to them that tells you instantly you are not touching glass. I've ordered a few more molds that will accommodate larger marbles. 

You are kill’n it. The first one is one of my favorite color combo Rainbo’s I 30x louped this a lot. I wish it had AV In the black. You just transformed a “frosty” marble with very nice glossy surface glass. Boo Yah ! 

Go with me here. I think the marble in the first pic that is below the Black/Yellow Rainbo should be next. Transparent green base glass with an Oxblood Bat in the matrix. At least that’s how I describe it. There was no confirmed ID on this one here on the Board. Actually I’m all Geeked just to see what you do next🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

RAR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

Go with me here. I think the marble in the first pic that is below the Black/Yellow Rainbo should be next. Transparent green base glass with an Oxblood Bat in the matrix. At least that’s how I describe it. There was no confirmed ID on this one here on the Board. Actually I’m all Geeked just to see what you do next🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

RAR

👍