Hello everyone! Looking for advice..

Derek

Resize_20231213_104333_3891.thumb.jpg.ab73c423d9029e571777d772fb896573.jpgHi. Thanks for your time! My wife and I are clearing out old boxes from family members no longer with us. I have zero knowledge about marbles, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if we have anything worth selling. Thanks again for your time!

Resize_20231213_104334_4729.jpg

Resize_20231213_104334_4295.jpg

Hi.  Welcome.  Nothing is jumping out at me as high dollar. But it's a nice vintage bunch. 

I saw someone get $40 at a garage sale for a group that was less interesting than any of the groups you have pictured.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steph said:

Hi.  Welcome.  Nothing is jumping out at me as high dollar. But it's a nice vintage bunch. 

I saw someone get $40 at a garage sale for a group that was less interesting than any of the groups you have pictured.

Thanks for that info!

20 minutes ago, Derek said:

Resize_20231211_225505_5461.thumb.jpg.5f925fb686c725deb87efda7b860846d.jpg

I found this box tonight. Is it possible that it has never been opened, and I should leave it that way if I'm selling these, or should I open the box for photos? Definitely marbles in there.

I would bet the box had been opened before.  If they were sold with the string, that would be news to me. 

If the original marbles are in the box, they will be the kind used for playing Chinese Checkers.  

10 hours ago, Steph said:

I would bet the box had been opened before.  If they were sold with the string, that would be news to me. 

If the original marbles are in the box, they will be the kind used for playing Chinese Checkers.  

I figured you were correct about the box not originally having that string, so I went ahead and opened it. Thanks for the reply; I'm learning a little more about this stuff all the time.

Resize_20231211_225505_5929.jpg

• Award 1

14 hours ago, Derek said:

I found this box tonight.

Well---I am a box guy and I have not seen this one before--nice find, very nice!

Any box that has the name Peltier on it is a great find.

Game marbles yes--rare find --yes, imho it looks to be in great shape as well.

Is there any printing one the edges of the box?

Marble--On!!!

4 hours ago, akroorka said:

Well---I am a box guy and I have not seen this one before--nice find, very nice!

Any box that has the name Peltier on it is a great find.

Game marbles yes--rare find --yes, imho it looks to be in great shape as well.

Is there any printing one the edges of the box?

Marble--On!!!

Yes, this is on both of the short ends of the box.Resize_20231212_173856_6761.thumb.jpg.f41908f02e88c6b94770f0c16c5310b4.jpg

Also on the clay marbles, be careful leaving them in anything for cleaning. I’ve heard of some materials dissolving.

Clay marbles are also a touchy thing in some areas but the people here will be able to tell you much more. I’m from an area where many places used to sell clay marbles out of massive metal crocks. When I was a kid, these were sold as “authentic civil war marbles”. I have a few of them myself, but they are supposedly fakes.

To this day I have people try to sell them to me.