Hi all!

Pieces

Hi everyone!

So....about 10 years ago my domestic associate & I inherited an estate of many collections, marbles being one of them. Up until last year they had stayed packed away while we worked on other collections. For some unknown reason last year I decided to break out the mibs & try to start on them. Holy crap on a cracker batman! While I have been able to educate myself on some of the basics (& maybe just a fuzz more) of marbles, it is somewhat overwhelming. For some reason I found it necessary to count all the marbles & am currently up to 7,821 marbles with still more to count. I feel I have a pretty good handle on handmades & have separated those out, but struggle identifying between machine made manufacturers. Have been hitting all the websites on Pelts, Christiansens, and so on, but some seem so similar to each other I start questioning myself. Is there any advice one has for someone who has a new fulltime job identifying & selling marbles, other than hiring an expert?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Pieces said:

Is there any advice one has for someone who has a new fulltime job identifying & selling marbles, other than hiring an expert?

Selling them will be a full time job--for sure. 
Hire an expert and eat the 30% imho.
Now---if you intend on becoming a collector, you are in the right place. The more you look, the more mesmerizing these little orbs become.
If you have been overcome by the beauty and decide to keep a few, post three or four at a time for a positive ID. 
We here do not try to discourage sellers or disregard them but you have quite a few and it looks like you are trying to get top dollar.
This place, “The Marble Connection” has been around longer than you can imagine, the very first marble chat board on the web and still going very strong.
Marble—On!!

• Like 1

If I were in a position to be a collector & keep all of these I would as they are gorgeous & were my grandpa's, but I cannot, & it breaks my heart.

I just didn't want to put my "whoa is me" in my introductory post. 🙂🙃

Welcome to Marble Connection.  If your intention is to sell your collection, there are individuals who buy and sell collections.  There are marble auction sites that sell for a commission.  There are folks here who can assist you with those resources.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 3:21 AM, Jeff54 said:

If I am seeing it correctly, a banded purple lutz? https://marbleconnection.com/profile/6992-pieces/you're off to a good start. 

Sorry, just now saw this! Yes it is a banded purple lutz. My grandpa sucked me in with that exact marble as a child! Well, that one & one other were always moved to the front of the case when he knew I was coming over because he saw me ogling over them before.

On 2/21/2024 at 8:55 AM, Pieces said:

Sorry, just now saw this! Yes it is a banded purple lutz. My grandpa sucked me in with that exact marble as a child! Well, that one & one other were always moved to the front of the case when he knew I was coming over because he saw me ogling over them before.

I would need to correct that ID as a purple glass ribbon lutz. It's a rare marble. Perhaps your Grandpaw needed you to remember it to stand above the others for that.