Grandmas marble collection... are these worth anything or should I just epoxy them into a table??

ikunat33

Hi. Welcome.  My first thought is "not substantial worth".  

But you have an Akro oxblood at the top of this picture.  And I'm curious about the marble to the right of the oxblood.  

small_IMG_20240722_131048_251.thumb.jpg.

• Like 1

Also, you have many cat's eyes, which in general wouldn't be considered valuable at all.  But you have a lot of one of the most popular styles -- the Japanese "cross through" cat's eye.   And your cross-throughs are mostly three-way cross-throughs which are even more popular.  

I looked on ebay and see some one-way cross-throughs selling for $10 or more apiece.  Those are being sold by a popular seller with a large following and great photographs, so he can get higher prices.  Another one-way cross-through sold for just $1.  But yours are three-way, so maybe you could get in the 10's or higher.

At this point I should probably post a diagram explaining what the heck I mean by cross-throughs.  But I'm rather tired.  I know there are some pix floating around.  Maybe someone else can beat me to finding them.

• Award 1

In the category of banana cat's eyes, black bananas have special appeal.  You have one of those.  Again, not high dollar but wouldn't be surprised to see someone able to get $10 from it.  

small_IMG_20240722_130627_572.thumb.jpg.

Agree with Steph, more pictures, Individual ones, of the two marbles she spoke of would be great. And it's pretty cool that you have multiple 3 way cross-throughs with your cats eyes (meaning white meets white, red meets red, and blue meets blue).

The 2 marbles too the top left of the marble she singled out would be worthy maybe of a couple extra looks to.

Have fun and Be Cool 

👍😎

• Like 1

Post pics if you do epoxy... it was something I'd considered for some of my more common marbles but it was too "permanent" for me.  

Some of the old timers might remember pics of those concrete flower pots somebody made decades ago...

11 minutes ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Post pics if you do epoxy... it was something I'd considered for some of my more common marbles but it was too "permanent" for me.  

Some of the old timers might remember pics of those concrete flower pots somebody made decades ago...

I recall seeing some birdbaths 

👍😎

Thanks to everyone who responded. We have been considering selling them. While we do not have time to squeeze every cent out of the collection we do want to know we have not disrespected the effort our grandmother went through to pass them on to us. We will post a few today or tomorrow and go from there.

• Like 2