Index To Notable Threads And Other Resources

Steph

Notable Threads & Other Resources

[This is quite dated -- probably many broken links again -- but I'll leave it up awhile longer at least.]

This started out as one long list. As it became even longer I broke it up into smaller, more manageable lists.

I still haven't read every thread on the board. Even when I think I have "finished", I'm sure I'll have missed something interesting.

What I'm getting at is if you have any leads on good threads to include, they are ALWAYS WELCOME. Thanks!

MAJOR new resource. Already great. Additions still being made as of the time of this writing:

Joemarbles.com

Click on any of the following topics for a list of threads to browse:

Original Packaging

Advertising

Nifty Items Which May Not Roll Far

Marble-Related Collectibles

Salient Features in Marble Construction

Marble References

Nomenclature

Restoration

Photography

Handmades

Early Machine Mades & Transitionals (slags, bricks, transitionals, etc.)

Marbles from Outside the U.S.

Cat's Eyes

Contemporary Artists

Mysteries and Tricky ID's

Interesting Threads I Can't Categorize Yet

Links: Marbles By Color

Marble Manufacturers

Early Marble Companies

M. F. Christensen & Son (1903-1917)

Christensen Agate Company (1925-1933)

Alley Agate Company (1929-1949)

Akro Agate Company (1910-1951)

Master Marble Company/Master Glass Company (1930-1974)

Peltier Glass Company (1886-present)

Vitro Agate Company (1932-1992)

Champion Agate Company (1938-present?)

Ravenswood Novelty Works (roughly 1928 - 1955?)

Marble King, Inc. (1949-present)

Jabo-Vitro Agate, Inc. (1987-present)

Vacor De Mexico, AKA Fabricas Selectas USA (dist. by Qualatex, Alamo, Mega, Etc.)

Other U.S. Marble Companies

• Heaton (1946-1971)
  • Jackson (1945-1946)
  • Playrite (1945-1947)
  • Cairo (1946-1950)
  • Davis (1947-1948)
  • Alox (1919-1989)
  • Bogard
  • Kokomo
  • Mid-Atlantic (? - 2002)

Another Leighton link (stored here temporarily):

http://marbleconnection.com/i...showtopic=11401

(p.s., the Navarre co. was also mentioned on the page where this clip came from)

• 2 years later...

Pretty recently (the last week or two or three?) you posted a list of contemporary marble artists - I remember suggesting the addition of James Cooprider -- and I've been looking for it since then, since I didn't have the sense to print it out for my own notes at the time. Maybe you have a better recollection than me? Sure would appreciate it if you could dredge it up! Maybe it was in a post about identifying the unknown maker of a contemp? In the ID forum? I'll keep trying, but if you try too then surely we'll find it!

Thanks,

Ann

you couldn't find it because I hid it at another board! smile.gif

How many names would I have had ...

(at the Glass Addiction board)

OH! Thank you! I know I'm a little nuts, but I really wasn't ready to believe I had just made the whole list up in my mind and then talked myself into believing it really existed! I've now printed it out - - -

Ann

Hi Steph -- If you're interested, I have a few more names, although I'm not sure one of them is working anymore, since I haven't found anything by her on ebay in a longish time -- Delila Davis. Then there are two who're working now, Keith Baker and Randall Burnett. Although Burnett is not new to glass, I think he's only recently started in marbles. And, when I bought my first marble from Ashley Genovini, she was Ashley Galaites, so some may know her under that name instead. Those were my big surprises -- that I had three that wern't on The List! I wasn't surprised at all to find that I didn't have examples of the work of HUNDREDS of marble artists. Fortunately, that's a goal I have not and WILL not set for myself! It's hard enough sticking to my self-imposed "nothing over 1 1/8 inch" rule - - -

Thanks again for "finding" the list for me!

Ann

Thanks for the names. I will get the list updated. I have a few other short lists to cross-reference. Won't be surprised if that turns up more names.

Plus, I have a couple of names I've been aware of for awhile but on the fence about. One person works with sorta weird glass, one with ceramics. I've included other orb-makers in non-glass media but it seems like they need to be nominated for membership in the club and aren't automatically recognized. you know? I don't know enough about contemps to know if they were excluded on purpose, and if others feel it would be wrong to have them in the same list.

The two on my bench:

Laura Berretti of marbled clay fame.

And Jeffrey Grey, maker of "fiberagates"

hmmmm , , , decided to include JG but still mulling over LB. Having trouble getting an edit window at GA, so have time to mull.

Plus, I have a couple of names I've been aware of for awhile but on the fence about. One person works with sorta weird glass, one with ceramics. I've included other orb-makers in non-glass media but it seems like they need to be nominated for membership in the club and aren't automatically recognized. you know? I don't know enough about contemps to know if they were excluded on purpose, and if others feel it would be wrong to have them in the same list.

Wow. A whole issue I never even thought about. I can see why the glass site might be reluctant to include non-glass marble artists, though. And I have to admit I recently discovered a prejudice I didn't know I had, when I realized I was struggling with the idea of purchasing my first Carl Fisher marble -- struggling, because although it was stunning (a glossy black-and-white Christensen-style striped opaque) it wasn't glass! I chastized myself and got out my chinas and clays and stared at them for a while and then bought the Carl Fisher! But so far it's still my only non-glass contemporary one. But I'm anything but an expert on contemporaries, just someone who can't set time-period-limits on her marble interests!

Ann

yeah, I know just enough to realize that there are some strong feelings. Fer example:

This was Carl Fisher's entry in the 2008 GA alphabet marble contest.

(click to enlarge)

97029636RtoXKOEe.jpg

This was Margaret Zinser's entry this year.

113034862YZB1NF9a.jpg

Both did well in the contest, and both were a source of tension because they were so different from mainstream glasswork.

Wow again. I do understand the issue, but boy it's pretty hard to ignore examples like the two above. Can't say I'd mind having either of them, as long as they were small enough! (Fortunately, I'm sure they're not. On the other hand, although it's taken me about 5 years, I've managed to get 4 small-enough James Alloway marbles. I CAN be persistant!)

Thanks for the intro to the debate --

Ann

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Other U.S. Marble Companies

• Heaton (1946-1971)
  • Jackson (1945-1946)
  • Playrite (1945-1947)
  • Cairo (1946-1950)
  • Davis (1947-1948)
  • Alox (1919-1989)
  • Bogard
  • Kokomo
  • Mid-Atlantic (? - 2002)

MORE -- this section needs work. Especially to deal with marbles such as those here, Just Some Ugly Dirt Marbles, and with the whole panoply of Leighton companies.

Another Leighton link (stored here temporarily):

http://marbleconnection.com/i...showtopic=11401

(p.s., the Navarre co. was also mentioned on the page where this clip came from)

Steph,

The two stoneware marbles Brian pictured in "Just Some Ugly Dirt Marbles," are probably American Marble and Toy marbles. You have the company listed above.

Hansel

• 1 month later...