A Crotchety Continuation

kbobam

I really appreciated Ann's response to some of my crotchety comments in the 'PC' and Marble ID topic.

It made me want to talk for hours, so I figured the Lounge would be a better place for me to shoot my mouth.

Crotchety is such a great word!

(It's possible that it might just be my personal interpretation of the definition which makes it seem so.)

I think it's a fairly complicated concept, and requires several conditions to be met for

a person to be able to fully understand it or 'be' it in its purest form.

You have to have once been a younger person, who thought he/she knew 'crotchety' when you saw it.

But you were wrong! You didn't make the distinction of understanding that some people are just 'mean',

regardless of their age. You may have already literally been a 'genius', but you were still 'young and stupid'.

(None of us can avoid that.)

You now have to be a somewhat older person of above-average intelligence. This causes you to look

around and wonder why so many people seem to be blindly accepting the ever-increasing amount of BS

that's constantly being thrown their way in their daily lives. No time to list examples. You know what I mean.

If you've seen 'Drunk Uncle' on the Saturday Night Live show, you've seen a perfect example of 'crotchety'.

He probably hasn't chosen the best way to deal with the whole situation, but you can't help feeling sympathetic.

I had a recent experience which made me decide that I'd finally earned the 'crotchety' title.

If you really want to hear it, please remind me later since I'm already talking too much. ( :

A while back, it was apparently decided by someone in my bank's hierarchy that the people

sitting at desks needed to show their friendly side and pleasantly greet people who've walked

in and are on their way to the teller counter.

It was obvious and contrived and just incredibly bogus, so of course it drove me nuts.

One day, one of these people was a little slow in performing her duty.

Possibly because she was concentrating on her work, which ought to be what the bank

wants in the first place..

So I'm already past the desks and waiting in front of the counter, and out of nowhere there's a

"GOOD MORNING! HOW ARE YOU?"

It frayed my last nerve.

I spun around and said "Oh my God! Will you people stop doing that!"

I like to think my 'vote' might have counted, since they actually did stop not long after that.

(That's proper 'crotchety', in my opinion.) :)

They've started doing the same stupid thing at my local CVS Pharmacy, usually scaring the heck out of whoever's just walked in. Which doesn't include me anymore. Since they (1) started doing that and (2) stopped selling cigarettes.

Yep, the tobacco ban was another huge insult to everyone's intelligence.

I mean, go ahead and sell or don't sell whatever you want, but don't lie to our faces.

They did this because they 'care'? Right.

And then have the audacity to back up the first lie with a second.

(We're obviously losing money here, so you know we're sincere!)

What a load of hooey!

And with that last post you have equaled me in crotchetyness !!(LOL) I like making up words

My bank folks insist on the same BS. I answer each and every one in an extremely loud obnoxious voice. They must just think I am nuts or hard of hearing as they haven't stopped yet

Ha! And thanks. It's an honor. ( :

A little earlier it occurred to me to take a look at a CVS stock price chart.

Up until the time of their tobacco ban announcement, prices had been increasing slowly and steadily for some time.

After, they continued to increase, but more quickly and more steadily.

Gosh! Those cynical Wall Street sons of unwed parents must not have believed in CVS's willingness to lose money! :P

• 1 month later...