Anyone know maker MAD?

lostafewofem

I've heard of MMM (madman marbles- Joe Schlemmer) but I have some bags of marbles labeled by a now deceased collector.  They are labeled MAD #40, etc. Titles: Egg & Ketchup, MAD #1 Trans Yellow, White, Wisp of GR ADV; MAD #38 X-mas Tree, GR ADV xx; MAD #13 Bright Red GOES, Heavier GR ADV.. etc.  Does anyone have a clue what the lingo may be?

I think the ADV means aventurine...?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe not a specific maker, MAD may be a reference to a book maybe? I've looked at Marble Identification books but don't really see a title with that acronym.

Was there a list that went with this collection? It could be a list with more details about the specific marbles, a catalog of sorts.

Or maybe it's a reference to an auction where these marbles were purchased? MAD auction lot #40 ?

I think you're right about the ADV = Aventurine, possibly GR=Green

Just thoughts and guesses.

Well this is sort of intriguing, even for someone like me who knows little or nothing.
I'm going to try to be 'sleuthy' here, because my buddy Steph likes sleuths and even
if I fail miserably she'll admire the effort.  
Just realized that Jessica already beat me to my first thought.  All we have here are
three letters, so the ass-umption :blush: of 'maker' is jumping the gun a little.  (Didn't mean
the funny word as an insult.  I've made more of these than you ever will!)
My second thought was what do you mean by "some bags of"?  Is this potentially relevant,
as in traditional marble pouch bag, or packaged mesh/net bag?  Or do the marbles just
happen to have been placed in bags at some point and we can skip that detail?
My personal ass-umption is that MAD is a fairly 'broad' categorization in one sense, given
the other pretty wide-ranging descriptions.  But it probably has at least one very specific
component to it.

Since I've already bored everyone to tears. let me make one hypothesis.
If MAD turns out to be "Marble Alan Something", that might be pretty interesting.  ( :

Some pics would help..  At first I was thinking Peltier...but Egg & Ketchup doesn't strike me as a name even the name-naysayers would utter.

So, if ADV does stand for aventurine (it might) some more recent marbles come to mind....Would MAD maybe stand for a Jabo run?  Madia (Madya) not sure of the spelling.  Are there multiple marbles in each bag, if so are we talking about 2, 20, 200?

Any guess is good, and better than too few...right Bob? :)