How old are you in marble years?

Steph

Talking with someone about the marbles she played with as a child.  She's practically exactly my age ... we played with marbles in the early 70's.

She basically only remembers cat's eyes.

I remember cat's eyes, bumblebees and all reds.  And clearies.   

What marbles do you remember from when you were young?  

Great question, Steph. My quest as a player back in the mid-50's was always for two kinds of mibs; shooter clearies and steelies, which of course no one would let you use in a game, but all the cool boys HAD to have one nonetheless. I remember hating all the cat's eyes (junk,) and the patches (dull.)

When I found my old Crisco can containing my collection 18 years ago, it held marbles from nearly every machine maker of marbles in the book, from Akro corks to Peltier rainbos (but no NLRs.) But my favorite was still the beat-up 3/4" ruby red clearie shooter that had won me many a marble.

I am 61 so my marble playing years were in the 1960's.

The common marbles at Woolworth ( in Meridian, Mississippi) was the cats eye marbles in a net bag. We played a good bit in the neighborhood but there was an occasional game with kids from another neighborhood. I do remember my first "out of neighborhood" game is where I was introduced to "steelies". One kid whose dad worked at a big truck garage gave his son some big ball bearings. Needless to say, we hated to see that kid knuckle down.

Yep, I lost my marbles and I have been looking for them ever since that time.......

Mike

:D