West Virginia Marble Collectors Club Show

wvrons

This years show is May 9,2009. Show details are listed on this site. My latest info is that the rooms which the club had blocked for the show are all full. We would have liked to block more so marble people could be all together but there was also a large wedding party booked at this same time. We booked these rooms almost a year ahead. If you plan to attend and do not have a room reserved yet,call and check or get on the cancelation list. Last week any rooms blocked for the wedding party were to be released. My last info was that there is another hotel nearby that are taking reservations for these dates. Some people coming on wednesday and thru friday,the show day is saturday. There is a contest for the best Jabo display. With a (90yr old) wild cherry wood,handmade wall plaque to the winner. The contest is for display,information,etc not numbers of marbles. Also the usual childrens marble shooting tournament,and requires early sign up. We will have the 2009 club t shirts for sale along with the limited collector marble bags of marbles. Stop in and visit the club welcome and informatioon room.

Hope to see some of you there.

Since this is a very busy area for Parkersburg and Vienna,the club is looking at moving the show next year to better fit the clubs and collectors needs.

Since this is a very busy area for Parkersburg and Vienna,the club is looking at moving the show next year to better fit the clubs and collectors needs.

IMHO Its a great idea I thought last year it should be moved.

Also you need to advertise it!!!!If your not a hardcore mib person you never hear about this event.

Draw in more of a new crowd, I didnt even notice a sign out on Grand Central last year!!

Not knocking on the show I love it I just feel there is so much potential for expanding it.

See you there

The club would very much like a sign on Grand Central Ave. But after lots of leg work we found out that was impossible due to Vienna regulations. We tried signs in the shopping center and was ask to remove them. We advertise in the weekly local trader flyer. We did advertise in the local newspaper but at $500.00+ for a single small ad, it was to much. We had people guest on local tv station,but no response. We spent a full day at the WV welcome center on I-77 Williamstown,last year, gave away marbles,no response. Members post flyers in three or four different counties. We have tried several forms af getting the notice out,but it is expensive and very time consuming. We are always open to any new suggestions. It is $2000.00 now or more,plus many hours of work and gasoline to put on this show and it is getting at the limit. People have to support the shows if they are to continue. We can always use volunteers.

Pass the word and attend a show,any show. They all take hours of work and effort.

2009 WVMCC yearly dues are due by show time. You may have received a notice with your last newsletter.

Thanks for your support. See you at the show !!!!!!!!!

with very minor experience in " helping" at the decatur show on occasion, what a bunch of work it does take to " throw" a show. most walk in the door not realizing the effort behind the event. many thanks to you ron and your crew that gets the job done in a class situation ... :Happy_143: bill

post-75-1239715093_thumb.jpg

with very minor experience in " helping" at the decatur show on occasion, what a bunch of work it does take to " throw" a show. most walk in the door not realizing the effort behind the event. many thanks to you ron and your crew that gets the job done in a class situation ... :Happy_143: bill

I am not saying there isn't some work involved, maybe I just dont have a clue cause it doesnt seem that hard to me and my first order of buisness would be move out near the I50/I77 Interchange there are several motels that ALL the rooms are on one floor so no carrying your stuff up to a room also these places would love to sell out 40-50 rooms (times are tough ) they have a conference roon with tables ,there are three places to eat within eyesite and several more just down 7th street.

Also no silly Vienna rules about a sign.

Run an ad in the local bulletin board I am sure you can get it done for less than whoever wanted $500.

Flyers Flyers Flyers !!! Make them black and white if you have to give people a little history with the flyer not just ..MARBLE SHOW.........Give people some history....

MID OHIO VALLEY

Parkersburg ,Vienna, Ravenswood, Pennsboro, Cairo, St Marys, Paden City

Did you know you live in the HEART oF MARBLE country????

Yes West Virginia at one time was the heart of those wonderfull marbles you loved as a child!

West Virginia Marble Club invites you and your families to come and enjoy the day with us selling,buying, trading or just talking marbles from all over the nation and we are highlighting local marble factories such as Vitro Parkersburg & Vienna,Marble King of StMarys and Paden City,CE Bogart of Cairo WV (ECT ECT YOU GET THE POINT)

Bring you children and enter them into our Marble Shooting Contest Prizes Will be Awarded!!!

Yes I know my version is bad but you pro's could improve it.

Im not trying to be an jerk or knock the show as it is now I just think it could really grow somehow

hey rons sounds like we got a volunteer...lolol....go for it zig.....i would put you in charge of promotions...oh yeah.... been there...... done that....dont forget to go to the show...you can join right there....

Like I said Im not bashing the show,Ron or anybody involved I just want to see this show and marble collecting in general take a step forward.

You can be sure I will be at the show and at the hotel walking the floors the day before and enjoying every minute of it!

Some may call it a cop-out but I have never been one to join any club,but yes Ron has been nice enough to offer me a chance to join or just stop by a meeting,it's just not my style.

That said I would be glad to help out if anyone wants to make up an official flyer I will make the copies and be glad to hand them out at local auctions,post on various bulliten boards around Wood county and hand them wherever the opportunity comes up!I already spread it thru word of mouth.

If the club is really thinking of a venue change next year let me know and I will do my part and check to see what deals you can get on rooms elsewhere.

If I have permission to speak for the club I would be glad to go and talk to the city of Vienna about a sign along Grand Central Ave!! Does the club have a little coin to spend? If so maybe get past the local ordinance preventing the sign by paying a temp worker for a few days to hold a sign like the dudes do for Little Ceaser Pizza :Happy_050: !!!!! Heck it's a good thing tourist in Vienna spending money Whats not to like :Money_0031: ?????

Anything I can do to help promote this show please let me know.

Oh and thank you Edna

zig...you have some good ideas.... but they are not anything new ....with the exception of hiring a guy in a chicken suit to wave at passers by...thats pretty rich......most of the budget is for flyers so if you contact ron or howard you can get as many as you want.....i usually put out flyers for the show from wheeling to marietta...for the sistersville show,too....the show was held at three other locations in the past so the club is still looking for the right mix...im sure the cost of gas last year hurt all shows.....everybody thats interested enough does their share and theres a lot more than you can imagine that can go wrong....dealin with the personalities of some marble collectors ...makin sure everybody is happy....ensuring security.....organizing tours..[renting a van] ..securing venues......setting up the show room.....[making sure conflicting personalities are not next to each other]....setting up the club room with snacks and displays...promoting the show...anyway thats available......but new blood is always welcome and discussions at the meeting is always a plus....its not a bad thing to be a member...in fact its fun sometimes and like havin a marble show every month.....the dues goes for promoting marbles and publishing the newsletter,which is top notch.....any donation is welcome so if youd rather not be a member , you could just donate some cash to the club for the programs ....im sure ron and howard thanks you for your suggestions......past president....steve

Thanks for the suggestions and they are appreciated. No bashing here just good questions,comments and suggestions. We need this to improve and move forward when possible. A few answers,I was not aware that any of the hotels near Rt50-I77 had conference rooms or one large enough for our needs. Officers are currently checking details of other hotels that may fit our need. A lot of these show items HAVE to be done a year in advance. The flyer or ad will be in the bulletin board as always,but we cannot do it weekly at $80.00-$100.00 per week. For some years we did rent a large passenger van and gave tours of several old factory sites(a 10hr day,)also Fenton Glass and Jabo factory. But we didn't receive enough money back to cover the gasoline let alone the rental. Plus two days time of 3-4 members. Plus we only had 2-3 people go on the last offered tours. Most or all of the flyers this year are black and white,but we still paid for paper,printer ink,etc. Several handfuls were handed out at the last meeting,to go to different areas and counties. Speak to city of Vienna,of course,we never turn down help. If you need any answers,flyers,info etc,just contact any of the officers. I am sure Howard would probably even go with you and try again. I am also sure the group can use any volunteer here near the local area. None of us as all the answers but as a group maybe we can look. We did in the past and may at this show hand out questionairs of what you liked or didn't like and things to improve for the show. We stopped this for a couple years because we were not get any amount returned. The bottom line is we,like all,have limited funds to work within. If people do not attend the shows and hotels before the shows,they are not possible. We could use a few new officers and any volunteer,some of us may be getting stale. Some have held office since the begining. Some held two offices at once. Our vice president drives about 1 1/2-2hrs one way to attend meetings and help out. We have some great people but can use more.

Good comments and this helps our goal of moving this show ahead and all marble collecting. Call,email or pm and i will answer or point you to someone who can put you or your suggestions to work if possible,after meeting discussions and a vote. Come to a club meeting. Come to the show. The annual club meeting is 5pm friday evening before the show day.

Steve (Duffy)thanks for the help and support. His post comes from experience,he walked in those shoes.

ATTEND AND SUPPORT A MARBLE SHOW someplace,when possible.

Ron S.

Good post, Ron. A lot of people don't understand what's involved. Your club does a great job, expecially with the newsletter that is so helpful that people all over the US and maybe outside, join your club just to get the newsletter. We're coming all the way to West Virginia this year, just for your show. It's a 2 day drive for us. We couldn't get a room in the hotel, but will find one close by. See you soon.

Edna

Thank You Edna and Weldon,but i hope you already know that. This is a example of what it takes to keep these marble shows going from one year to the next. It takes work at home base for the shows but collectors also have to put effort out and sometimes go out of their normal way to support a show. Plus the effort of either or both is not always rewarded. But maybe it will be NEXT YEAR.