Is This Authentic?

me too. looks like crystalized-something on the staples. really nice marbles though. 9.99 but with a reserve. why cant people just start the dang auction at their acceptable lowest bid instead of hiding it. it makes no sense.

With buyers being so "cautious" with their bids in these troubled economic times, it's hard for sellers to know how to list anymore. With a reserve, maybe the seller is hoping to get more bids. eBay doesn't refund the reserve fee anymore, even if the item sells at the reserve price. Doesn't make it easy for sellers.

That's a legit bag from all I can tell. You are looking at a 60+ year old mesh bag - they do show some wear... Lee is a well known collector and one of the founders of the IAMC which runs the Tacoma and Las Vegas Shows each year. He can make mistakes, like the rest of us, but is very honest. Of the bags he has listed, I might question the Mr. Peanuts bag with MK types - might be a filled bag but...? I haven't been able to get any confirmation from MK if they did use the 'Play the Square...' phrase subsequently to using the 'Play the Game...' phrase. The legit bags I have seen have the 'Play the Game..." - the fantasy/fake ones have the 'Play the Square...'.

I used to buy the Mr.Peanut bags from a wholesaler for $4- a bag, can't remember the name but they sold lots of "old stock" from printing companies and advertisers, they sold well for fantasy bags with MK's, they also had the Sinclair and Gulf bags as well as the Santa Clause marble bags, I never bought those types.

the Akro bag in question looks original however the way the staples are rusted/disolved does look odd, a common trait of old staples is they were round wire with a little flattening on the bent over tabs, any staple that looked flat across the top was new and commonly used on the fantasy bags with a drop of acid or something to rust them, a typical sign of that was a small stain only at the staple and no evidence of water damage to the paper. JMHO

Here is a photo of the header of a bag that Marblealan sold on Ebay a while ago.

Akro%20Hygrades.jpg

I remember Alan stating in the listing how "ugly" and colorless Hy-Grades were.....so there is all I know about them - I had never heard of them before until I saw Alans listing on them.

Well come to think of it I looked in my Complete Line of Akro Agate Co. Book published by Roger and Claudia Hardy and on page 20 they show a picture of Akro Hy-Grade bag with 25 mm marbles in it - but they are all patches and bright colors and they appear to be translucent "moss agate" type.

They have a bag right next to the HY-GRADES that looks identical and the header says "HOT SHOTS" on it....so they are the same marbles just different sales approaches.

me too. looks like crystalized-something on the staples. really nice marbles though. 9.99 but with a reserve. why cant people just start the dang auction at their acceptable lowest bid instead of hiding it. it makes no sense.

$9.99 with a reserve is the cheapest way to go listing wise...if you must achieve a proper price - Ebay charges you MORE for listings starting over $9.99 even if the item does not sell.

Sometimes all it takes is a question to the seller to find out the reserve - usually they are willing to let you know what it is.