Pink And Lavendar

Awwww I don't see any pictures.

And I so enjoy seeing purples and that elusive pink marble.

Have a great day!

:-) Felicia

Not quite sure why the images uploaded to my server show up here for a while, and then disappear .....*shrug*

I uploaded them to the board.

Fixed!

Enjoy!

My newest acquisition might be called lavender or pink.

It's got a nice cork action. That wouldn't be too remarkable. But I think the ground pontil is. Not what one would expect on what looks like an Asian transitional.

(click to enlarge)

th_FromCharles_11_16ths.jpg th_YingYang.jpg

th_SweetCorking.jpg th_GroundPontil.jpg

My newest acquisition might be called lavender or pink.

It's got a nice cork action. That wouldn't be too remarkable. But I think the ground pontil is. Not what one would expect on what looks like an Asian transitional.

an "Asian transitional" - wow - never heard of those - are they new or vintage? and what part of Asia are they from?

I just can't believe I don't have a lavender something around here ,I finally found this four vein lavander cat.Bo

yea - lavendar is not the most popular color....I had some opaque or translucent pastel colors from MK awhile back - but I think they are gone now.

Purple is close but not pinkish enough - like you avatar

an "Asian transitional" - wow - never heard of those - are they new or vintage? and what part of Asia are they from?

The glass looks like Japanese "transitionals" from the 30's or so. However, at LOM the votes so far are for it being an early German marble. To me the pontil looks like a cleaned up version of the pontils on some marbles which were dug in Shanghai. Most of the unpolished ones have odd crimps, with a spot in the middle which looks like the glass broke off there. But there were other mibs from the dump, not slag-types, which did look like at attempt might have been made to smooth the end.

I don't know how to go about framing the suggestion that this might be from Shanghai. I haven't seen enough German pontils to know how similar they would be to the ones from the Shanghai dumpsite. This is the first ground pontil I've seen in person. Plus, the Shanghai mibs I've seen had reverse 9's.

But it sure is intriguing to me to think that the ones in the dumpsite might have been rejected before the pontil grinding stage, while this one made it all the way through and out into the world.

a few Shanghai examples:

MoreShanghaiMibs.jpg

Jabo sure made some nice lavender. These are the glowing sort:

Jabo_ThatGirl.jpg

Is this from Fenton cullet?

The first marbles I bought for myself were Jabos and heavy in lavender. Might have been the same run as your box, Bill, which Winlock is selling. I remember all those colors represented, plus a cool caramel-looking mib, and I think maybe a red, white, blue and brown. mabye. ?

I still think that referring to those marbles as being from Shanghai might be misleading to some folks. You ever find out if it was a general purpose dump or strickly a glass marble company dumpsite? Just curious. Cause if its a general dump, further proof would be needed. Just sayin'

No, I haven't learned more about the type of dump it was. Obviously more evidence is needed all around. The Shanghai lead might turn out to be a deadend, but it's a lead nevertheless and shouldn't be dismissed without cause. The similarities between the marbles in the Shanghai group, as a group, are compelling to me, and how that mysterious line pontil type fits into the continuum of pontils in the Shanghai group is intriguing. I say "mysterious" about the pontil, because as of the time of the writing of the pontil page at the Akronmarbles site, it was still a mystery and I'm not aware that the mystery has yet been solved. Also worth noting is how the color on the example of the one at the Akronmarbles page fits Chinese colors. The reverse 9's are pretty interesting too. (which of course my purple one doesn't exhibit, darn it)

I was just wonderin' if you ever found out any more info. FWIW, I found 7 MFC bricks in a dumpsite in north central wyoming. Seriously. Found 10 mibs in the ground that day within 5 ft of each other the other 3 were slags, not sure of the maker, but they were handgathered.....ok, enough hijacking. LOL

I am also still confused about the origins of the "Asian" marbles and the "Shanghai" marbles - who is discovering them, (you said they were "dug" in Shanghia- but not by who)-- and what is their age---maybe I am confusing the 2.

Steph you wrote back something about House of Marbles marketing them...but the ground pontils indicate vintage stock and handmade origins - although I know of the Chinese handmades that Marble Alan was promoting years ago had rounded pontils - are these similar in origin? In other words are they recent contemporary handmades?

I am also still confused about the origins of the "Asian" marbles and the "Shanghai" marbles - who is discovering them, (you said they were "dug" in Shanghia- but not by who)-- and what is their age---maybe I am confusing the 2.

Steph you wrote back something about House of Marbles marketing them...but the ground pontils indicate vintage stock and handmade origins - although I know of the Chinese handmades that Marble Alan was promoting years ago had rounded pontils - are these similar in origin? In other words are they recent contemporary handmades?

I mentioned House of Marbles when you asked about Asian corkscrews. My answer was an "if I'm thinking of the right marble" reply. This is the marble I was thinking of. Pic from Land of Marbles:

hom101lg.jpg

The marbles dug in Shanghai are a mystery. I posted about them awhile back. They were bought by an American antique seller who goes to Shanghai periodically and buys them from a digger. Here is the first set I posted. P.s., they are in better shape than they look -- the scanner gave them a glare. None of the slags here has a ground pontil. One of the white ones MIGHT but it's unclear. It looks altered somehow but half-heartedly. And these have the reverse 9's, so I'm not putting the purple one with them, even though there are some similarities in the pontil.

2009_02_19_DugConfettiEtc_a.jpg

The typical Japanese transitionals are this type. Japan was exporting marbles in the 30's and there's reason to suppose these were among the type they were exporting then. They have spidery "pontils". From Marblealan auctions:

(click images to enlarge)

th_post-279-1183945474.jpg th_post-279-1183945489.jpg

th_post-279-1183945496.jpg th_post-279-1183945502.jpg th_post-279-1183945509.jpg