What Do You Do...

More years ago than I want to remember, that's what got me seeking ways to save those marbles. I had bunches of them and some very rare ones at that. I tried tumblers, buffing pads, etc. Finally I found a fellow by the name of Ed Junker and to make a short story out of it, he made me my first marble reconditioning machine. I operated for about a year with one machine, but now have six. Some people really frown on reconditioned (polished, buffed) marbles. I find no fault with them, but many beautiful marbles have been saved because of some person willing to spend the time, effort and expense to recondition a hurt marble. No matter what happens Akro, Master Made, Peltier, MFC and others of the old company's will not be making more of their marbles. They are in the history books. These company's turned out millions of marbles per day for years and years. So where are all those marbles? They must have numbered in the Billions back when. At any rate, certain marbles are certainly worth saving by making them like new again by some good reconditioner. IMHO ----Leroy----

Giggling at slingshot bj..lol

That looks kewl Dutch!, kinda has a wrinkled affect to it.

Leroy, I totally understand. I have maybe a dozen or so that I thought 'what do I do with these?' Some would be quite nice if you can get past the cracks and dings.

I could probably fit all my marbles in a shoe box, so what I do have, I enjoy...even dinged.

Good point too...where ARE all those marbles that were made?

Thanx bunches guys

:-) Felicia

I certainly did my share of using marbles as slingshot ammo back in the early to late 1940's. One of our favorite past times was making a sling (you know like David used to slay the giant). We would put as many as five or six marbles in it at a time and called it our machine gun (some of us became quite accurate with them). Man it sure worked nice, but used a lot of marbles. Some we would recover to use again, but there were always those that we couldn't find. I always thought I'd like to go back and search for some of those marbles, but than I found out that the town that I grew up in (Minneola Florida) the population went from about 300 (when I lived there) to well over 22,000 today. No chance of me ever going back there. ----Leroy----

Some make jewelry with marble halves.

They could also be used for some interesting pieces in mosaics.

You could put them in a shadow box.

Someone else I know put mint ones in resin for use as paperweights. THAT was sorta sad to me. But the messed up ones might be cool in paperweights.

Those which would have been valuable without damage might still be good to help with identification, for yourself or some newbie. Or you might feel free to bust 'em thorougly to study how they are made.

Ummm ... I think I had one more but it has slipped my mind.

Steph, I had thought about Joe but if I did that, I would lose the only examples of something that I have here.

Doubtful I would be using a slingshot ..lol

Leroy, I'd hope that someone may have already found your marbles and are enjoying them to this day...if not, there's a treasure hunt in the making, just like Okie is doing now...finding marbles from the past.

I'll figure it out some day.

Thanx everyone for your thoughts and ideas on this subject.

Have a great day!

some day about 100 years from now - an archealogist will be investigating the property surrounding the former "marble mansion" and will discover thousands of broken chipped fractured and worthless balls of glass were thrown one by one into the water retention pond behind my house...of course the fractured pieces of semi spherical glass shapes will be cleaned up and sold on "futurE-bay" for thousands of denari as antique vintage glass.

:doh:

This last Saturday I went to an estate auction and baught a galvanized bucket with 577 marbles in it for $100! I thought man i hope i didn't pay to much. Got home washed them by hand one at a time and found 1 lutze solid core german, 4 micas, 141 beningtons, one china, 4 clays, 40 nice peltiers, christensens..... and the list goes on! This old german guy collected them here all his life, and everytime he found one he would just put it in the bucket in the garage! I did nothing sunday but stare at marbels! Very happy! ( but felicia I will still go to the old homes and find the lost reasuers of these old german kids!)

WOW! That's fantastic Okie!!! You done good..looking forward to seeing some pictures! (hint hint) Gotta love great finds like that.

When I can get some time to pick up a camera I will post! Right now I am subbing at the high school ag. class....no students right now...hence to computer time lol... I was so giddy all weekend with my marbles! didn't want to put them down! Sat in my front yard for a while just to see them in the light of day....lol Yeah we weird!

LOL, kinda like your own personal study hall when no students are there...is ag agriculture class?

I tell you, I don't blame your excitement one bit. You got a wonderful variety all in one bucket...I know that would be the thrill of a lifetime for me. Treasure hunting is a kinda hit or miss but when you hit that big score..yeahhhhhhh!