Unsolved Mysteries And Outright Oddballs

Here's a mystery mib of mine. For the longest while I thought it was ceramic or paper mache. (lol ... I was confused with Gutta Perchas) Now I realize that color is painted on, like latex housepaint.

Morse001.jpg

I've seen one other like it ... and no one recognized that one either.

What unsolved mysteries and general oddballs do you have?

• 1 month later...
Here's a mystery mib of mine. For the longest while I thought it was ceramic or paper mache. (lol ... I was confused with Gutta Perchas) Now I realize that color is painted on, like latex housepaint.

Morse001.jpg

I've seen one other like it ... and no one recognized that one either.

What unsolved mysteries and general oddballs do you have?

Steph, I bought a tube of those marbles in houston at the museum around 1995 or so. After a few years the paint started coming off and I realized I had a tube of painted marbles too. When the paint comes off you have worthless mibs, probably imperials.

S

kewl!

I mean, sorry for your paint loss! but kewl, someone has seen 'em before !

When I saw it in the lot I was hoping to buy, I was so excited. I thought it might be really special. :P

But hey, I still like it, still treat it nice even though it's just a painted marble.

There's a lot of those 1" glass marbles that have been painted some rather nicely. This one has a sponge pottery appearance. You got 'Sponge-Bobed!'

Bill I agree that it's Alley or Champion. More likely Alley but.....

And those CW marbles. Will they ever quit? Actually they have validity as they have been determined to be Ball Mill Balls and from the 1840s. Only problem is that some unscrupulous people got into a wealth of them, doctored them up and sold them wholesale to unsuspecting and suspecting antique & collectible dealers all over the SE during the time of the Atlantic Olympics. They do indeed have a life of their own now with no where to go buy up unfortunately. I've some myself! David Chamberlain

• 1 month later...

Here's an old pic of an oddball. I've posted it before but something made me remember it today. Still a mystery. It's about an inch.

In hand it looks like an opaque black marble with a white stripe. One day I looked more closely and saw it had a clear crevice with some other colors. Easily overlookable. But they come out well in a photo.

(click to enlarge a bit)

Fissure-1-1.jpg

Yep, check out some of these, there opaque black.... some of the brushes and ribbons actually dive down and back out if that makes sense, so they appear on the surface and below it, then some of them actually had like little clear channels...

MASTERBOXMARBLES4.jpg

MASTERBOXMARBLES3.jpg

I can dig through some of my Masters i have left and see if i have nay Opaque ones left..