What's Floater Marbles?

Floaters can best be expalined by the guy that came up with the idea. He has a few books on the subject floating out there, no pun intended. Psia-anitque should be able to explain them to you specifically. I don't dare show my rookie-ness and try to explain this subject. There is just too much I don't know and would leave out. However, I think that floaters are the hands down best mibs, I just love to have color on the outside, and inside. When you are able to look into the mibs, you enter another world. God Bless!

Ohhhhhh OK...I understand now and yeah, it is way kewl to see every part inside and out...the twists, the turns, the dives..yeah buddy, that's fun stuff!

Thanx Gary, have a great day!

:-) Felicia

Possibly interesting question:

What are/would be/might be the differences between floaters and transparent swirls?

I have an opinion on the matter, natch, but would like to hear what others think.

I was thinking along the lines of transparent swirls as well but there seem to be more colors/combinations of colors than in a transparent swirl..at least that is how I see it.

Have a great weekend!

:-) Felicia

Possibly interesting question:

What are/would be/might be the differences between floaters and transparent swirls?

I have an opinion on the matter, natch, but would like to hear what others think.

to me transparent swirls are nice clean base clear glass with a single color throughout, or maybe two colors.

Floaters would be more mixie and muddlie lots a colors but still able to follow the streams of colors into the depths of the core.

make sense? does to me. :Sad_headshake_tweetz:

That weird gloopy mish mashy thing which Jabos sometimes do is why I thought the invention of a name like "floater" was a good idea. It's great for cases such as ones where one cannot easily tell whether a mib is an opaque ribbon in a transparent base or a transparent ribbon in an opaque base. But I can see the name reaching out to encompass the distinct transparent swirls on the one end of the spectrum and the more patchy transparent-based mibs on the other side of the spectrum. Sure it would be somewhat redundant that way. But it would be natural, and we can deal with overlapping names. We're smart. :P

It's a cool word. It deserves breathing room to find its niche.

One corollary question is whether it would apply to non-jabos. For example, there are some sorta nebulous gloopy Champs floating around. (pun intended) . Could they be called 'floaters'? would that be a good thing? an okay thing? a confusing thing? a downright bad thing?

Something which could suppress adoption is if the originator or early adopters are very proprietary with it. It could be frustrating for them if it morphs into something other than what they intended. But if they keep too tight rein on it, they could strangle it and there might be no more adopters. The evolution of language is tricky.

If it is just about Jabos, then the early adopters can maintain more control of the word. If it's considered a candidate for adoption in the wider marble world, then more people have an interest in whether or not it gets used and how it is used. There are different criteria for language adoption and most are not "rational". Expression is a gut level phenomenon. It'll be fun to see how much traction "floater" has over time.

Reminds me of ... what is that one ... oh yeah, Vitro Opals. A cool collector name which stuck ... but I get the idea that most of us are not using the name exactly how it was originally applied -- matching up in some of the cases but not all ....... I don't know quite what to think about it. The people who coined it don't seem to argue a lot about names, at least not in my hearing. But where does that leave the name? Just stick it on the most obvious cases? but what about when people do want to stretch it in what seems a logical way, a way which might actually be consistent with the coiners' intention but isn't what 90% of the users picture when they say "Opal" .... what then? I don't know.