Did Any Company Besides Vacor, Make Frit Mibs?

I have a few mibs, with frit on the outside of the glass, and was curious if any other company produced these kinds of mibs. Some that I have are chalked full of frit, while some have just a smidge. Some have clear amber bases, some are opaque. Some are tinsy tiny and some are nearly two and a half inches. Just curious really. Thanks! God Bless

Vitro and now apparently Jabo. Vitro are very rare from what I have been told. Jabos well you know the story. The large ones I would guarantee to be Mega/Vacor the others I dunno but unless you are very lucky to have a Vitro you probably have some Bandito Marbles there. I have a few big ones. I like the big'uns.

Yeah, more than likely Vacor de Mexico as the Vitro Anacortes were all recognized varieties(about 6 different ones) and limited to less than 100 each with most of them less than 50 each.

Th Jabo confetti(with frit) style were late last month during a tank wash and are all, I believe, in the 9/16" size area with many having a considerable sprinkling of goldstone mostly in speckles all over the marble. Dynamite marbles.

Vacor was doing this frit/confetti style in the 1980s and later. I don't know about earlier. I have varieties of them in a special set that the factory sent me around 1992. At the same time they sent me a few of the biggies. The sample set had only 5/8" marbles.

David Chamberlain

Gary be very very very careful. There has been much confusion between the Vitro and the Vacor ones. There have been Vacor pix posted as Vitros by people who were thought to know, and this has added to the confusion. I'm trying to remember where the most reliable info about these is stashed. One thing to realize is that that on most of the vitro mibs there was only 1 color of frit used. (if I understand correctly)

I think we're talking less than 500 mibs total. Maybe less than 300 mibs total. Many of those had a white base.

Do you have the American Machine-Made Marbles book? If so, check on p. 165 for a pic.

I don't remember where to find that "most reliable" account. But here's something I summarized from it once and asked for confirmation about:

According to the best known account I recall, if I read it correctly, there were about 50 large confetti's made. 1 and 1/4". In the 50s. (Edit: no, probably not in the 50's, but in Parkersburg.)

Later in Anacortes there were approximately 250 smaller ones made, on clear and moonie-based glass. Most had single color frit. There were "a couple of cases where an extra color was added".

The large ones were on a clear base, and maybe had more than one color frit, but we're talking SOOOOOO rare.

edit: found the account. It's long plus I don't want to lose it again, so I posted it in a separate thread. I know David has seen the mibs up close in person, so I've asked him to comment. but anyone is welcome of course! I know he's not the only one who's seen at least some of 'em.

Here's a fine example. It's a Jabo Ultra, made Thursday June 4, 2009. Dave (and others) only made a few, but they

are a remarkablepost-254-1244652613_thumb.jpg improvement over our earlier tries. Guinea-like flecks and lutz.

Great coverage.

Only a few have smooth surfaces.

Burtpost-254-1244652627_thumb.jpg

The photograph in the American Machine-Made Marbles book (2006) by Johnson, Metzler & Six on the pg. noted above should give you a clear idea as to the style of the Vitro Anacortes confetti marbles. They are so much different than Vacor it's hard to imagine anyone making a mistake in identification unless they were a rank amateur/novice. Those were mine and I sold and traded them w/Patry so they are in her collection now. And by the way for anyone who was wondering Patry's marble collection is basically on hold. No present plans. Grandchildren though are a consideration although a detailed inventory of her premiere collection will be necessary as it stands as one of the more important collections in the country. Again, the new tank wash Jabos (9/16" approx.) are also totally different but also with a confetti appearance more than a guinea appearance. They also have goldstone flash throughout in many of them. hopefully this covers most bases. David