Handgathered Swirl...leighton?...mfc?

Hi Bob, I'd go MFC as well but for an especially nice and well illustrated crib sheet for crease pontil identification go over to Marvelous Mibs (Stress Free) Marble Board and click on "crease pontil web page" provided by browse4antiques (Roger Browse). And you can reference this for any enquiries. Personally I consider grey an unusual color and it should enhance value. David Chamberlain

FWIW... i have seen german slags with that cut off line. so close in fact, i have shown to others and they said MFC, when in fact it was german. it's such an odd color, i personally think it could be either, and maybe a color change happening too. whatever it really is, it is way COOL!

HI EVERYONE AS MOST KNOW I ONLY COLLECT CHRISTENSEN NOW, SO I HAVE A TAD BIT OF KNOWLEDGE CONCERNING MFC AND CAC. THIS IS A MFC, LEIGHTON HAD GROUND PONTILS, BUT THIS DOES NOT HELP AS MUCH BECAUSE IN VERY EARLY MFC THEY TOO HAD PONTILS. BUT THE TRUE GIVEAWAY IS THE MACHINE CREASE CUT-OFF, AND THIS STYLE IS ONLY ASSOCIATED WITH MFC AND EARLY CAC. HOPE THIS HELPED. CAC_MIKE

Wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be a transitional of some type because of what looks like chunks in the white. When I think of CA HG's the pattern on your new red slag listing comes to mind which IMO is spot on. I don't suppose you have any more of these greys Bob? My gut told me I should have put in a higher maximum and of course congratulations to the winner.

-Brad

MFC marbles are all machine made - in other words, they will never have a pontil. NEVER! I know because I have spent 1000's or hours researching MFC as well as conducting numerous archaeological excavations at the factory site - including inside of the building - RIP

Leighton only made melted pontil hand gathered marbles at his numerous marble factories. I know because I conducted archaeological research at every factory site which is still available for study.

The Germans on the other hand made ground pontil hand gathered marbles. This is published in a great book by Herbert Kuhnert as well as in other period (circa 1850) documents where the Greiner family displayed their wares at International Expositions, etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be a transitional of some type because of what looks like chunks in the white. When I think of CA HG's the pattern on your new red slag listing comes to mind which IMO is spot on. I don't suppose you have any more of these greys Bob? My gut told me I should have put in a higher maximum and of course congratulations to the winner.

-Brad

Sorry, I don't have anything similar. I received the marble in a small ebay lot that contained about a dozen HG slags, faceted agates and chinas.