Vitro Tiger Eyes

Steph

I'm brain dead this morning. Couldn't answer what shoulda been a simple Vitro question in the ID forum. So how about just a carefree Tiger Eye thread. Show 'em if you got 'em! :D

p.s., one of Chuck B.'s Tiger Eye article from the WVMCC newsletter, now at Joemarbles.com, the one which describes the Tiger Eye types.

p.p.s., And another, 57 VARIETIES

Here's a variety of Type 1 Tiger Eyes with a few oddballs: 2nd marble row 1, purple top patch with 2 yellow ribbons; 5th marble row 1 and 6th marble row 2, lavender top patches; 6th marble row 1, two white patches.

2241652390104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

Here are a few Type 2s. I think some folks refer to the two up front as Pastels (maybe Easter Eggs?). The base on those is not transparent - it's translucent with a bit of opalescence, so they don't really fit the classic definition of a Type 2 Tiger Eye but, otherwise, they're pretty close.

2952378690104684377S500x500Q85.jpg

PS. I AM NO VITRO EXPERT SO I HOPE THE EXPERTS WILL CORRECT ME IF I ERR IN ANY OF MY POSTS!

Here's a selection of Type 3s. The lower left has aventurine. A couple have additional color.

2406069630104684377S500x500Q85.jpg

Can you tell that re-reading Chuck's article has inspired me to take a closer look at my TEs, which were all together in a big jar until last night? lol

You're right, Steph. But the white ribbons on Type 4s are supposed to be veneered over a lesser quality white base glass. I don't think newer All Reds are constructed that way - just two patches on a white base, no separately applied white ribbons, which makes these kinds considerably tougher for me to put my finger on (without a hammer). And it seems to me that when Vitro started to cut costs even more, one of the first things to go would have been those separately-applied white ribbons. So while I think most of these would qualify as Type 4s, if anyone knows a good way to distinguish the Type 4s from the newer All Red style patches (with no red), I sure would like to learn about it.

2542753080104684377S425x425Q85.jpg