Origin Of Term Diaper Fold

I was at the Amana Marble Show and Larry Castle and Marlow had asked me to help them with a book they were working on for machine made marbles. We were sitting in Larry's room and he was asking me about Christensens and how one could tell and his wife was changing his baby's diaper on the bed at the time. She was using cloth diapers and as she pulled the diaper up and was getting ready to pin it on the sides...I pointed to the curved edge of the diaper and told him the line was similar to that. Never did I imagine they would use that term in their book! You had to be there and you had to see the situation I was referring to or you would never understand where it came from. Anyway, when their book came out I got a good laugh out of that term....but I also appreciated both Larry and Marlow signing my book with the following words, "To the one person who knows more about these than we do!" I still treasure that copy...especially since Larry passed away. So just in case anyone ever wondered where that came from...I was there and I said it...sorry! lol

looked in the red book, 1989, and the 1991, second printing. no mention of diaper folds in these books. Marbles, the guide to machine made marbles, 1992, page 37, line 5, lists diaper folds, 10-25.00. the second addition, 1995, page 35, line 5 shows diaper folds, except now they show a value of 50 - 175.00! wow! so in books, it wasn't used until '92. at least not in my books.

~Ernie

Hey Cathy!!!! Great to see you posting...

I'm gonna work on getting out your way for the show next spring. If it works, it'll be great to see you!!!

I'll always think of Larry & Marlow as the guys who put machine made marbles on the map. I believe they created so many more terms than they'll ever be credited for...

Simply because "taking credit" wasn't their objective...

Just getting the info out there, enjoying the hobby and getting the marbles appreciated was all that mattered.

They were never given credit by the more popular, known "Experts" who sucked the information out of them, took it and ran, leaving them in the dust....

I would cherish that signed book, too!!! Those words are so much more true than anyone could ever believe....

I know, cuz I was there, in that time-frame, too....

'Love Ya, Honey!!! 'Hugs to (your) Larry!!! B)

interesting. I had wondered what would prompt men to use the term. So that was in the 80's?

Actually I first started helping them in the mid to late 80's...not only was I one of the few female collectors, but my speciality was machine mades and I took a LOT of ribbing for that ....until...suddenly, my phone was ringing off the hook for information about machine mades! Larry and Marlow begged me to write a book on machine mades...but as a single mother of 5 and working 4 part time jobs to support my family and keep my house...I didn't have time...but I promised them I would help them all I could....they took me up on my offer and I was so proud of them when the first book came out. But...it was still pretty general in a lot of ways....we spent many more hours of study and conversing on more details such as "the diaper fold" and so then they wrote the same inscription in the next printing....but they were fast learners and wherever or whatever I suggested they research or look into...they did that and much more. The Diaper fold experience occured in the early 90's at the Amana show. I would have wondered too! lol The Marble Lady

Hey Cathy!!!! Great to see you posting...

I'm gonna work on getting out your way for the show next spring. If it works, it'll be great to see you!!!

I'll always think of Larry & Marlow as the guys who put machine made marbles on the map. I believe they created so many more terms than they'll ever be credited for...

Simply because "taking credit" wasn't their objective...

Just getting the info out there, enjoying the hobby and getting the marbles appreciated was all that mattered.

They were never given credit by the more popular, known "Experts" who sucked the information out of them, took it and ran, leaving them in the dust....

I would cherish that signed book, too!!! Those words are so much more true than anyone could ever believe....

I know, cuz I was there, in that time-frame, too....

'Love Ya, Honey!!! 'Hugs to (your) Larry!!! cool.gif

Hey great to hear from you too Sue! Larry says to tell you hello and for you to come and see our marble room at the Toy Museum here in Kansas City...you'll love it! We have a guest room....Hugs...Cathy