What I'd Like To Know...

m!b$

...is when Marblealan is going to being selling more marbles like he always used to. I asked him if he's selling anywhere besides Ebay, and he said no, that he's working on "extricating myself from that horrible company." I'm just wondering how long it's going to take. I'm beginning to have some serious symptoms of marble-buying withdrawal.

Or without bidding, the seller can't count on the excitement to drive the price up. They might price things lower to help the inventory move.

Not that I've been to shows - and I can't know what drives the prices - but I'm pretty sure that I have heard people say more than once that they could typically get marbles such as sparklers and bricks for lower prices at shows than they were selling for on the bay.

It's hard to imagine getting better deals at shows. It's not like there's any bidding, so naturally the sellers would ask the most that they think they can get.

You would be surprised then. Especially if you have been buying at Alan's prices on Ebay. :confused-smileys-327:

I've probably been to 150 or more shows over the years and I like being able to pick up and closely examine a marble before buying it, or possibly dickering on the price or working out a trade. I also value the friendships that I've built up over the years.

That said, I've also bought quite a bit on eBay and from Alan because I trust his grading. I have also consigned to him and found that he often gets better prices than I could get at a show, even with his commission. I've also bought from auction catalogs. If you're a serious collector you use all venues.

My current problem with eBay is that most of the sellers don't know a collectible marble from dog doo doo, and I wind up scanning a half dozen pages before I find something to bid on. It's worse than garage sales.

But like the old joke about the guy who tells his friend that he's going over to Joe's poker game: His friend says not to go because Joe runs a crooked game. The guy says "I know, but it's the only game in town".

Like gambling, marbles are addictive and for many eBay is the only game in town. Enjoy the search. Art

Hey members, gotta put a dig into this topic for sure. Being the show director and sponser of the shows here in Decatur Illinois i have to add to those excellent comments from the members above. First, you will find some of the best people and FRIENDS at the shows you attend. Second, you will find invaluable NEW information discussed at the shows on any aspect of collecting from very rare marbles to book information. Third, in my opinion i have added some of the best pieces to my collection and they have came from the shows. Fourth, the prices you will find very flexable and pretty easy to deal on. Now dont get me wrong on the e-bay deal however there are still some deals to be had on there to, and Alans site is very good out of all of them. His excellence preceeds him dealing with marbles. I have tried really hard to make the shows here the most informative on the learning aspect of it on doing mini-talks show and tell in the afternoons the two nights before the show for everyone. They all love it and it makes the sales much better, so if you can go to the shows all you can, just my opinion!!!!