What Would Be The "crown Jewel"?

jstone

My husband is mystified by my new marble obsession. He posed this question to me that I thought I'd throw out to all you fellow marble enthusiasts. Is there a "crown jewel" of marbles? Like a 1909 Honus Wagner baseball card? Is there a particular type that would be considered the "best"? Just wondering what you all think! :rolleyes:

(My answer was not really - but I'm not a collector either, so what do I know?)

It depends on what YOU collect,and what "value" you use.

Im not talking about just dollar sign,but it very well could be."Values",could be based on $$$,or its history,or even just cause you think its pretty.I dont think there is a Crown Jewel,in the marble community,but if its based soley on $$$,then mine would be something in a black/white calmsbroth,2 inches+.Of course,for me,someones 2&1/8 mist lutz is right up there.

If I can swallow it,can I keep it?---LOL!

I would venture to say that that Lutz is the best marble out there. But seeing as that's a one-of-a-kind, it's kinda unrealistic for a collector.

In terms of handmades, I'd say that sulphides are generally the highest valued out there. You'd be lucky to find a a half-decent sulphide for under a hundred nowadays, and some go into the thousands. If it's got colored glass or a painted figure, you're sitting on a gold mine. I'm not well-versed enough in sulphides to really say which would be the absolute best.

If you run more towards the machine-mades, CACs are generally the best out there. Guineas usually go the highest, usually close to a thousand for a small one. I hear that submarines are worth a fortune too. I have no real experience in either. :P

Overall, though, I'm gonna agree with Griff. There's not any one marble that all marble collectors would agree on as the "most valuable." Everyone would love to have a good expensive marble to brag about, I'm sure, but most collectors will value personal favorites much more than what any price guide will say.

Thanks again for the responses. Personally, the most valuable marbles in the world belong to me! :) They belonged to my grandpa, so even though I think they are mostly "common" types - they're priceless! That being said, I'd LOVE to have aa antique beauty made in Murano (Italy). Simply because of my ancestry. I'm not even sure if "marbles" were ever made there, but I'm curious... More research for me! I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again; I'm new at this. This group has been so very helpful in all my posts, and even from reading archived material and older posts. Thanks y'all!

-Jessica

Well this ones for Griff. Boy this is a tough and very personal question. For me (today)it would come down a handmade and I guess a 2"+ blue base clam with white lines would top my list. I've only seen one. Tomorrow it might be a navarre or a christensen agate. Pic is not of the blue clam I dream of but a 2-1/8 black clam and a 3/4" white base with black lines. The marble in my collection that will never have a price is a 1-1/4" light blue Bennington that was my grandfathers and when I was a little kid it stayed out of reach on my dad's dresser. So $$ aren't the sole determinant of a valued marble.

Bill

post-173-129687266916_thumb.jpg

What is the Crown Jewel is a highly subjective question, it depends on your taste. I kind of reject the notion it is a salesman's sample case, that is a collection unto itself, not an individual marble. Certainly VERY hard to come by, and beautiful, but a conglomerate piece. I must say, I am VERY impressed by the green mist Lutz in the YouTube video, that's a real stunner. I don't know of its location these days, but there is a killer end-of-day marble originally brought to light by Russell Coppel, that I admired a lot. I know he sold it, so I am (hopefully) not compromising its security. It is a very large, maybe 2 1/4" (if anything, it was larger), multi-colored onionskin EOD with two "windows" into the interior where there is a 4-lobed onionskin core. It looks like some kind of bird's nest, the outer colors are gathered at the pontil, in sort of a sling appearance making the windows, can you visualize that? The windows are oval, roughly. I think it has some mica in the outer colors, I'm sorry, I haven't seen it in over 15 years, so I am a little hazy on the details now. All I remember us saying was it's more of an End-of-CAREER marble than an End-of-DAY! It was not in mint condition, but wasn't too bad. Back then, he was offered a CAR for it, some kind of collectible Chevy, by his uncle Bob Vader I think. Russell wanted 5 grand for it (an extremely high price back in the early 90's or late 80's), and the car was supposedly only worth half that, so he passed. One picture is worth 1000 words, I am sorry I cannot provide one, perhaps someone else can. It was different! Seems like the colors were predominately white (base), yellow and red, but I am sure there was most everything to some extent. Other than that, onionskins with cloud mica storms seem to bring the most money, Morphy's sold one for a hair under 15K a couple years back, I had not heard of the O/S mica on eBay shown here that allegedly brought 43K. Was that a for-real sale, can anyone confirm? That would be the all time $$$ champ if so, by almost 30K. I am kind of skeptical of that price, it is SO far above anything I have ever heard of, but I'm not that well connected, anymore. A beautiful sulphide is a joy forever, but from a price standpoint, they have been weak for some time now, partly due to fakes. I can't see one taking the Crown. Their visual appeal is somewhat limited no matter how pretty the glass, or however many the colors on the figure, and they just don't require the intricate craftsmanship of a fancy onionskin or whatever. I'd vote for something flashy and labor-intensive every time. That's my 2 cents, thanks for asking!