Getting Frustrated With Grading Marbles

I use Marble Alan's site for grading conditions. I'm researching and watching similar mibs on Ebay so I know what to start them out at on Sunday and I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Especially in the clambroth category. A few from a certain seller say Mint and I can see very minimal damage/wear in the photos. Another seller is using good and near mint minus and has the most listed, several. How can this be good condition? http://cgi.ebay.com/Clambroth-Rare-Handmade-Marble-Germany-9-10-Inch-S236-/160506467787?pt=Marbles&hash=item255eee55cb#ht_7598wt_1136 No matter how you look at it neither side is near mint. How is this near mint minus: http://cgi.ebay.com/Clambroth-Rare-Handmade-Marble-Germany-3-4-Inch-S239-/140478340629?pt=Marbles&hash=item20b5295e15#ht_6544wt_1136 I see bruises, large chip, bunch of fractures. Oh well, just venting and after viewing how other people grade and I'm trying to go by an ethical standard and use 10x loupe I'll just list my clambroths as near mint minus though I feel in comparison to how all the other clambroths are graded on ebay I should use near mint plus. If the person is a member here or reads this, I'm sorry but your grading sucks. How do others grade here? Do you intentionally grade to be on the safe side like I do, super exact and maybe have to deal with someone who isn't happy with your grading even if you are in the right, or push the envelope since people seem to like the words, mint?

In my considered opinion - grading can only be learned by in-hand experience from a person that is knowledgeable. This is why attending shows and spending time with other collectors is valuable. Tying to learn accurate grading from a one dimensional photo with high variable lighting, varying degree of focus and none of the advantages of in-handing examination is like trying to learn swimming from watching it on TV. The ability to rotate a marble in your hand, vary the lighting, feel the surface and then take all of the factors of wear, sub-surface issues, blow-outs, cold rolls, etc etc and combine them to an overall grade take time and experience. Experience that comes from a wide range of marbles over time.

The same is somewhat similar for accurate marble identification.

The use of web or book-only grading and identification has led to an unfortunate growth of overly optimistic (and inaccurate) grading and misidentification of marble types. There is only so much one can learn from photos. Shows and the broad expertise there is a valuable source for learning.

In my considered opinion - grading can only be learned by in-hand experience from a person that is knowledgeable. This is why attending shows and spending time with other collectors is valuable. Tying to learn accurate grading from a one dimensional photo with high variable lighting, varying degree of focus and none of the advantages of in-handing examination is like trying to learn swimming from watching it on TV. The ability to rotate a marble in your hand, vary the lighting, feel the surface and then take all of the factors of wear, sub-surface issues, blow-outs, cold rolls, etc etc and combine them to an overall grade take time and experience. Experience that comes from a wide range of marbles over time.

The same is somewhat similar for accurate marble identification.

The use of web or book-only grading and identification has led to an unfortunate growth of overly optimistic (and inaccurate) grading and misidentification of marble types. There is only so much one can learn from photos. Shows and the broad expertise there is a valuable source for learning.

Points well taken. But for example, people like me who only only collect handmades for a couple of years and wants to sell some so I can buy more and haven't attended a show yet, you have to start somewhere in grading. I use that site and take it seriously like it's a bible or something. I list every flaw I see so that the person knows what they would be getting. Photos don't show everything but it's tempting to perceive what you feel is improper grading by looking at the photos/description and think if they consider that this grade and you see others doing it, to bump yours up because maybe you grade too hard. If you don't mind, I have some photos in the buy/sell area and they aren't good, getting new camera on Friday and can upgrade the photos, what you would grade them with my descriptions and photos. I know it's not in hand and the photos aren't the best but I think nr mint - is the fair grading for the clambroths. I also have a few others in that thread. Until I hit that show in Kokomo I appreciate the help and feedback. I'm trying to learn and be honest in grading no matter what others do.

if there is one thing that i have learned about grading marbles on ebay it is "forget about the grading!". no matter how hard you may try, your grading will not be the same as mine, his, her's, or thier's.

i believe the best way to go is to descirbe any damage, flaws, as-mades, etc, and try to show them clearly in your pictures. this way you can let the buyer decide on the condition/grade, "if" they take the time to read your description and look at your pics.

thanks.

Another option is sending them to Marblealan if he's still taking new consignments.

Then you don't have to worry about pix or grading or nuthin'.

How do others grade here? Do you intentionally grade to be on the safe side like I do, super exact and maybe have to deal with someone who isn't happy with your grading even if you are in the right, or push the envelope since people seem to like the words, mint?

But since you asked ... I used to grade super safe. Few of my marbles made it to mint when I listed them. But then I got feedback from a respected buyer and learned that what I was calling NM+ he called "wet mint with a couple of subsurface sparkles". I got a little more feedback from a couple of other people who thought the marbles they received were mint. So I felt okay to upgrade a little. Then I ran out of marbles to sell. :P