I am not sure how many members take a look at the restoration section but I've just made a post there about 13 types (my names for them) of problematic marbles.

I've included a link for you to click on IF you'd like to take time and see.

http://marbleconnection.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=15500&st=0&gopid=133237entry133237

Thanks

Rich

I'm not convinced that any marble can be improved or fixed with a torch. I prefer most of these in the before pictures, because the colors were more crisp, and the patterns had more clarity. Many of these seem to have gotten too hot, causing the softer glass to bleed into the other colors, losing attractivosity, especially apparent in #1,3,5 and 7, as Steph may soon agree.

mike b.

I sorted them by how much it stood out. 1, 3, 5, 7 are the ones where it stood out most to me.

There were others which almost made it to the list for something like Mike is saying. Sort of lost their luster.

I appreciate your views and I agree.

Not all repairs will be 100% because I understand the nature of glass.

The point is that a damaged marble CAN be repaired.

In these examples, I did not take the path of the artist where I'd alter the pattern drastically to recreate a piece of glass art.

All I wanted to show you guys is what would happen IF you wanted a straight repair of the damage.

The burnt effects are caused by the oxblood glass not being the best of quality to begin with - as I thought everyone understood but I see I need to explain that.

If I chose to, I could have flame polished the glass to bring back the luster but that wasn't the point of the post.

Mike - have you seen my work with sulphides? Unlike this Fenton glass that does blend in a weird way when reheated in spite of the temperature of the torch's heat, the sulphide glass reacts quite nicely.

For example:

post-2583-130335436766_thumb.jpg

post-2583-130335438453_thumb.jpg

Clear glass, as in the sulphide repairs, does not burn as easily as the colored glass that is in the machine made marbles. Yes, damaged marbles can be melted back together, and re-rounded; but I still contend that the marble would rarely, if ever be improved. Whether artistically or not,intended or not, the pattern and look of the marble does change, and in the examples shown, it is not only the oxblood glass that is burning and turning funky. No need to explain it to me, I'm just too awfully dense in my old age, anyhoo.

thanks, though,

mike

lol @ Mike - I don't believe that one bit about you...lol

How do you feel about these two remelts?

Do they meet your artistic standards?

These two were made from 4 damaged marbles and I took art liberty with to redesign the patterns.

I didn't do any of the art redesigning with the 13 marbles in my post as that wasn't the driving factor of it. (I just went back and added more to the post in the restoration room about this topic)

I wanted to simply show the "before" damage verses a simple "fix" and how it is possible to repair a damaged marble.

If I chose to do so, I could have made them MUCH better by adding aventurine, making different patterns, or adding different colored glass to the marble to spruce it up a bit.

Maybe I should have stated that in the first post but alas, I didn't. Live and learn I guess.

post-2583-130335820446_thumb.jpg

post-2583-130335822378_thumb.jpg

I honestly was not accusing you of doing anything artistic with those first 13 marbles, and to my eyes, the "before" damage is still much preferable to the "fix" damage.

The two other marbles you show look burned to me, also. Remelting marbles just changes the look of them, in a way that doesn't grab me, I suspose.

Thanks Mike for clearing that up for me.

As someone who works with glass, I am sure you understand when working with others glass where you don't know the COE or the grade of the glass used in making the marble, even keeping the marble to be reworked WAY out in the coolest part of the flame - it still will burn. Attempting to use a reducing flame - still the glass burns. Controlling the volume of gas - still the glass burns.

If you have another way to keep the glass from burning when a repair is attempted, I'd sure like you to tell me what it is please. It would unlock many techniques for me if I could conquer that problem - especially with oxblood.

Thanks

Rich

For one thing, Rich, I do not attempt repairs of any marble, because I simply don't like the way they look afterwards.

Also, I don't use old cullet or any other glass that I don't know the COE of, because that is asking for trouble.

Even with the expensive Bullseye glass that I work with, I try to avoid the colors that flow and bleed too readily.

David, I would like to apologize for being a big poophead at times, like after some of those self-rightious smarty-pants rants of yours. Seems I just can't help it, you know ?

thanks,

mike